BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

How can I boost AC 16 speed?

archigreen
Enthusiast
I realized that the same project on AC 15 is faster than AC 16.
Mac PRO duo core, MacOS X Lion, 4GB in RAM.
Any ideas to speed up my AC16?

I just started to use the Morph tool and every time I try to edit a morph element it turns to invisible until the edit process is done.
Where can I change the settings to visible? or is something wrong with my installation.

I'm currently working with Module 15 & 16 only

Thanks.
ArchiCAD 26
MacOS Monterey
MacBook Pro Apple M1 Max
64 GB
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mac PRO duo core, MacOS X Lion, 4GB in RAM.
Any ideas to speed up my AC16?

In my opinion, you should enlarge RAM. OSX 10.6 and AC require 6 or (better) 8 gb RAM.
And, which your video card?
archigreen
Enthusiast
Processor 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xenon
Memory 4GB 667 MHz DDR2-FB-DIMM
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256 MB
Mac OS X lion 10.7.4 (11Es5)
ArchiCAD 26
MacOS Monterey
MacBook Pro Apple M1 Max
64 GB
Just an observation but your video memory (video card RAM) is a little on the low side.

ArchiCAD utilises the video card (hardware accelaration) for not just 3D window operations but also 2D plan/section/elevation view operations as well, if I remember correctly.

But even sticking to just 3D window operations, practically almost all the grunt work is done by your video card when your modelling and working on a model and as with any processor operation, the more memory you have, the more capacity you have for handling more information.

And I imagine AC 16 leans even more on the video card than v15 (thanks in part to the Morph tool which does a lot of things in the background like subdividing geometry (triangulating) to facilitate the deformation of shapes).
At least that's how it works in other 3D modelling program with similar 3D modelling capabilities (Polygonal and Sub-D/Subdivision modeling).

What you describe sounds to me like AC is trying to be efficient in video memory usage by degrading the geometry to either simple bounding boxes or nothing, (thus the disappearance) while you're actually transforming it.

The same thing happens in programs like 3ds Max and Maya when your polycount gets too high and scene gets too heavy.

I can't imagine having to use ArchiCAD with less than at least 1GB video memory (and as someone else pointed out, having less than 6GB actual RAM).

That's something you might want to look into upgrading if you're considering (or can afford) a system upgrade.

That and more CPU cores (I also noticed you have a Dualcore - 2 Cores - system).
ArchiCAD is also fully multi-core aware and capable, which means more cores = faster and better performance.
I have 4 cores and it already seems too little for my needs already and I'm looking to upgrade to either 6 or 8 cores in the future partly thanks to programs like AC.

Just a few things to consider.
Anonymous
Not applicable
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZoj2K50C40&feature=plcp
Maybe this can help you, it's in Spanish and for windows but you can do for Mac too
archigreen
Enthusiast
Thank you all.
Specially to José & Bricklyne
Cheers!
ArchiCAD 26
MacOS Monterey
MacBook Pro Apple M1 Max
64 GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
archigreen wrote:
Thank you all.
Specially to José & Bricklyne
Cheers!
You are welcome... In Mac I use Esperance DV to make the ram disc
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bricklyne wrote:
Just an observation but your video memory (video card RAM) is a little on the low side.

I have 4 cores and it already seems too little for my needs already and I'm looking to upgrade to either 6 or 8 cores in the future partly thanks to programs like AC.

For avoiding HDD bottleneck not only ramdisk is good but a true SSD for OS and Archicad itself not only temporary files .

More important than number of processor cores is processor speed .

For example a dual core with 4ghz is better than a quad core with 2 ghz because archicad is not fully multithreaded .

Recommend fastest proccesor and memory above 4gb

not biggest quantity with lower speed .
archibaldo wrote:
Bricklyne wrote:

For avoiding HDD bottleneck not only ramdisk is good but a true SSD for OS and Archicad itself not only temporary files .

More important than number of processor cores is processor speed .

For example a dual core with 4ghz is better than a quad core with 2 ghz because archicad is not fully multithreaded .

Recommend fastest proccesor and memory above 4gb

not biggest quantity with lower speed .
I don't think they make those any more (or at all).

I highly doubt you'll find dual cores made (if at all) with anything higher than 2GHZ speed.

I currently have an 8 core chip with 3.6GHz speed, and would still have to overclock it to get it over 4GHz or even to 4GHz.

In any case, I doubt that anyone upgrading to higher number of cores (4 or 6 or 8 cores) will be doing so and getting slower speed chips, but at the end of the day I have to dispute your claim that clock speed is more important than core number.

The way ArchiCAD utilizes multiple cores in multi-core systems is not the same way that something like Vray utilizes them in rendering - which is constantly and in a brute-force manner relying heavily on their speed.
ArchiCAD only utilizes the full capacity (or close to the full capacity) when performing certain functions which are expressly coded to take advantage of multiple cores (like generating Sections/Elevations) and these functions are less reliant on your core speed and more optimizing of the number of cores.
For most other functions ArchiCAD barely uses all the cores much less to their full capacity so speed becomes much less of a factor in this instance.
Learn and get certified!