Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.
SOLVED!

How can I prevent my full screen mode AC screen from minimizing upon pressing ESC.

keene kopper
Contributor
I've been trying to solve this problem for months now. It might sound like I'm a little clumsy, but I feel pretty strongly that my workflow is good practice:

I press 'ESC' multiple times to clear all tools and selections to prevent mistakenly moving or editing any unknown selections. Pressing ESC once clears selections, pressing it twice de-selects any active tool, but then if I press it three times (or less if nothing is selected, and no tool is selected), it causes my "full-screen mode" to minimize— it is driving me absolutely insane. Sometimes I just like to press Esc to be absolutely sure that nothing is selected outside of the current view.

I've changed the minimize/maximize to full-screen command to 'ctrl + esc.', which at least lets me re-maximize after the window annoyingly minimizes.

I've changed my OS keyboard/shortcuts/app shortcut: 'Exit Full Screen' key combination to 'opt + shift + esc' and that has not stopped AC from minimizing from full screen with just the ESC button pressed. I really really want to stop my Full screen mode from minimizing when I only press ESC.

I've also reinstalled AC and then re-set these key-combos. That has not helped.

Please please help!!!
TV / Film Production: Sr. Set Designer
Art Directors Guild, Local 800
Archicad Latest Version
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), 2.9 GHz Intel Core i9, >32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro Vega 20 4080 MB, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Eduardo Rolon
Just as a test. In AC assign the ESC key to a tool by editing your work environment. Hopefully this will override the OS since I don’t have that issue.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Hello,

We have the same configuration and I use Esc button like you do but I never have this kind of problem so I think it's a macOS configuration.
I invite you to check your MacOS parameters. Perhaps there is a shortcut about showing the Desktop (with ESC).
System Properties/Keyboard/Shortcut/Mission control/....
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
keene kopper
Contributor
Here's a screenshot of my current mission control settings, mission control keyboard settings, app shortcut settings, and AC Shortcuts PDF.
Archicad Latest Version
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), 2.9 GHz Intel Core i9, >32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro Vega 20 4080 MB, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
keene kopper
Contributor
As a side note: no, I'm not mistakenly pressing the F1 key, which doesnt work without pressing the cmd key anyway... (using a logi Craft Advanced Keyboard)
Archicad Latest Version
Did you try to use another keyboard ?
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
keene kopper
Contributor
I tried using the builtin keyboard (esc is on the touch bar), and it still minimized after pressing ESC. I also had an apple keyboard that I used to use, and I'm pretty sure the same thing happened.
Archicad Latest Version
Eduardo Rolon
Doing a quick test. Pressing ESC click in Mail and Safari Apps causes them to leave "Full Screen" but in my case AC does not minimize on hitting ESC so there must be another setting that is causing this.
In my KBS for AC I have the ESC key mapped to the ARROW tool so you could try that.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

keene kopper
Contributor
Ok, so, I've tried it on another computer, also a Mac, same version of AC, all the same settings for OSX and AC.

This is what I've realized: it happens with files that are big enough to take some processing time for certain commands; when AC is in mid-command-processing—even if the little watch-cursor doesn't come up because the particular process is quick—if I press ESC, the AC window will exit full screen.

I can press ESC multiple times when AC is not processing anything at all, and ESC will not cause exit full screen. I can also press esc with a tool selected, a marquee selection and object selected, and after three ESC presses, AC will not exit full screen.

This all being said, I really hope there is a way to stop AC from existing full screen when I press ESC under any circumstance, even if AC is in mid command-processing.

Any thoughts?
Archicad Latest Version
keene kopper
Contributor
No further thoughts?
Archicad Latest Version
Eduardo Rolon
Nope from my side, can't reproduce it.
Looks like you a particular setup that causes this.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!