BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

I accidentally overwrote a solo project

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am working in my office with one archicad solo-project called A. We keep backups of our files, so whenever I open a file I save it as a copy in a specific folder (A/archive) adding the date (A_131129), and then resave it under "A" again in the main folder and keep working. So the last version is always outside.

On friday I clicked on "save as" as usual, but for some reason the folder which opened was another project's folder (project B) and I didn't notice (my fault). So I saved it under B/Archive/B_131129, even though it was project A. I didn't notice the name was wrong.

Afterwards, I saved it as B in the main folder for project B. I was asked "are you sure you want to overwrite ...?" and I said yes, because I was working with a B file, and I am asked that every time.

Conclussion: I have lost B project final version. I only have the last backup copy (B_130903). Is there a way to recover the overwritten B file, the real one?
I guess not. But just for trying.

I'm feeling quite stupid and B project was someone else's project, so I screwed him.
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly
When you save a PLN Archicad should (if you have not changed the default settings in the Work Environment) Save the original file with a .BPN file extension - so you should have two files with the same name but different extensions.
The .PLN is what you just saved - the incorrect file.
The .BPN is the original PLN and you can open it just like any other file.
No need to rename it.
Then just save and it will become the PLN again (replacing the current PLN which will then become the BPN) or you can 'save as' and be careful about where you put it.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi!

Thanks for your reply. I think in this case the problem was that "B" was overwritten... when I saved A.PLN ArchiCAD created A.BPN, but I was not working with B so there was no B.BPN created. Well actually it was, because the name was wrong... but it wasn't the actual B!

I had luck and the IT team of the office found the backup copy of B file from the last day my mate was working with it. So we finally recovered it.

Thanks!
Learn and get certified!