BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

I have a surplus of RAM. Can I ask ArchiCAD to use more RAM?

Gus
Newcomer
Watching the Windows Task Manager Performance of my CPU Usage and the Memory being used, I realize that I never even get close to using all the RAM my computer has available. Is there any way I can let ArchiCAD know that it can store more data in RAM or do more background processing and storing of that processed info in my surplus RAM? Any thoughts on this would be interesting to hear. I upgraded to 32Gb of RAM and now I'm realizing I shouldn't have, but if my computer lasts a long time or if I find a way to utilize this extra RAM I won't feel as bad about the wasted money.
www.michaelgustavson.com Architect NY WI IL
Madison WI
Archicad21 MEP EcoDesSTAR Win10-64-bit
EliteBook8570W Corei7-3630QM@2.40GHz
QuadroK2000m RAM32 (2)250GBSSDs
4 Monitors Internet:4Up60Down
1 REPLY 1
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
In the Task Manager, if you right-click the ArchiCAD.exe file you can use the Set Priority command to change its priority.
According to Windows articles on the web, increasing this Priority will give more resources to the given process (which might include more RAM).
Actually, I have never tried it myself so please use it as your own risk. There are different opinions whether setting it to the highest value (Real-time) will slow the whole system down or not. In any case you can set it to 1 or 2 notches higher and see if that makes any difference.

There is another thing I just thought of. On my machine I set the paging file (virtual memory) to a relatively low value, like 1 GB. This way the machine cannot swap your data from memory to the virtual memory and will keep more data in physical memory. The reason I did not set it to zero is because I don't know, maybe it needs some amount.
So this is another thing you can try.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!