BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Imac 27 with fusion drive. Any effect ArchiCad 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am planning to buy a new Imac 27. Considering to buy with fusion drive. What effect does it have on working with ArchiCad 18.
And should I buy it with the i5 processor of just go for the ultimate i7 ?
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein
jmh20 wrote:
I am planning to buy a new Imac 27. Considering to buy with fusion drive. What effect does it have on working with ArchiCad 18.
And should I buy it with the i5 processor of just go for the ultimate i7 ?
I would buy the most that you can afford. Fusion gives near SSD performance - dramatically faster than only a hard-disk. Of course, if you can afford a huge SSD, that would be even better. i7 supports more threads, giving better performance for certain parts of AC, and of course, for CineRender.

We have a high-end late 2013 i7 iMac and are very happy with it.

Note: you should always keep continuous backups (e.g., Time Machine) - but this is even more important with a Fusion drive which is a software-managed combination of two separate drives - SSD and hard disk. Failures have a way of happening only when you do not have a backup. So, take that umbrella into the sunshine. 😉
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, thanks for your advice.

And so I did: I have a brand new iMac 27 i7 fusion drive on my desk now. Top of the serie.
It works brilliant, and yes, also attached a external drive for time machine backup.

again, thanks Karl!

Jan
Karl Ottenstein
Enjoy! 🙂 It is a remarkably powerful machine for the cost.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you noticed any degradation in performance yet?

I am upgrading to the i7 iMac and am unsure about the fusion drive.

Space isn't a big issue for me as I already manage current vs archived files. This will be a work only machine so there won't be a lot of extra data on it. My current active project storage is 30 gb. When I need more space I could get a thunderbolt enclosure.

It is between the 3tb fusion and the 256 ssd as far as costs.
shtarkel
Participant
Absolutely get the SSD the difference between SSD and Fusion is significant in loading libraries and preparing for rendering
Learn and get certified!