BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Is 20,000,000 Polygons Too Much? PIMP MY MAC!!!

matthewjj
Newcomer
I need advice from people who understand hardware. Our IT department hasn't been able to figure out what kind of configuration to put on our standard Mac Pros or Power User Mac Pros.

Here is our typical project type:
20+ Story Buildings
500,000 SF

20,000,000 Polygon Count
200-400 MB Master Model File

100-200 Layout Sheets
100-200 MB Layout File

Current Standard Config:
Processor- Mac Pro 2x2 Dual-Core Xeon
RAM- 2 GB DDR2
Graphics Card- NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT w/256 vram
L2 Cache - 4 MB

Current Pro Config:
Processor- Mac Pro 2x2 Dual-Core Xeon
RAM- 4 GB DDR2
Graphics Card- NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT w/256 vram
L2 Cache - 4 MB

2D redraws are ok but Copy+Paste can take 10 seconds @ times (often even for very small 2D items).
We have noticable drag in 3D in OpenGL with our current setups.
All project are stored and worked on over a server.

We can't tell which of the following Mac Pro components (RAM, Processor Speed or Graphics Card) is the best to upgrade for optimum performance on projects like these. Also, when you have 2x4 Core processors (8 cores total) how is memory used/allocated by Archicad?
matt johnson
archicad since 2004
imac 27, 4.2 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB RAM, radeon 575 4 GB, macOS 10.14.6
imac, 4.0ghz i7, 16gb ram, Radeon M9 390 2GB, OS X El Capitan
3 REPLIES 3
Dwight
Newcomer
I'm having the new 2.8 mac pro with the 512 video card. and 16 gigamegz RAM.

Mac RAM allocation is dynamic except for Photoshop where you can assign a maximum percentage.

I've never had Archicad go over 2Gb Ram use when rendering.

I find a 512 video card much faster with the OpenGL 3D than a 256 that was jerky at times.

The copy/paste thing is a problem i had occasionally in the past but the new machine flows. But you have huge files.

I suspect that you might have ethernet priority issues. Where are your temporary files? I believe that each machine should keep its temps locally???
Dwight Atkinson
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Processor speed wise, you won't be able to get much better than you already have, but the Video Card is atrocious. Definetely why your 3D is slow. It's the bottom end of an old line. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that the amount of RAM on a graphics card is how fast it is. the speed of the card is determined by the chip that is in the card. RAM amount it a very distant second place in this concern.
For maximum speed at a good price, get GeForce 8600s.
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
TomWaltz
Participant
Have you read Graphisoft's "Big Building White Paper"?

20 million polygons and 400 MB is too much for Archicad to have in one file. With 2008 hardware, you're not going to see good performance on that file.

Using methods similar to GS' recommendations, we have a one million SF building that's only got about 4 million polygons and an 80 MB file (though there are several of them)
Tom Waltz
Learn and get certified!