Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Is archicad going to run on NVIDIA GTX 1060 (6GB version) ???

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I would like to buy a new laptop.
I use archicad 19 and Lumion 8. I have done some research and I need at least NVIDIA GTX 1060 (6GB version) to be able to run Lumion ok. I also need to run archicad but as per article below they recommend a different video cards. Is there a video card for laptops what supports both in the same price range like NVIDIA GTX 1060 (6GB version? Ideally I would go with GTX1070 or 1080 but they are not recommended for Archicad either.

Do you have any experiences with Graphic cards above or laptop what could work for both?

Lumion https://support.lumion.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003476813-Which-laptop-PCs-do-you-recommend-

Archicad - https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/83528/

Thank you for your help.

Kind Regards,
Joe
3 REPLIES 3
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I have NVIDIA GTX 1060 (6GB version) and it works just fine, I am completely satisfied with its performance in ARCHICAD.
I know GRAPHISOFT does not really recommend gaming cards but I have never really had problems with them.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
DavorP
Enthusiast
Interestingly they have dropped 1070/1080/1080ti from AC22 test. I hope this is not an attempt to phase gaming series out from tests.

Generally you get better price to performance ratio with gaming GPUs.

Yes, people will argue that these are built for different purpose but if they perform the same for less money, who cares about the internal architecture.

Lumion has been the reason why in our office we are moving away from Quadro's. I can tell that on 1080ti Archicad works just fine and would argue probably a lot faster than on same priced Quadro.

Xeon/Quadro and other enterprise hardware is generally way overpriced.
BIM manager
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I would argue that pretty much all high end GPUs are overpriced at the moment, with all the crypto currency 'mining' going on.

The quadro drivers for me have been very stable for many years and the card is still running stable after many years too.

With windows having to support a very large amount of hardware, having stable drivers is a blessing.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5