Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Is you AC slow to get going? Then try...

Rick Thompson
Expert
My AC was opening very quickly, once upon a time, but became very slow to the point of getting very irritating. I was thinking it was a library issue, then I remembered what I use to know.. clean up the old preferences... at least using Mac OS. Now it is back to it's refreshing opening. I'm not sure what the main culprit was, but would like to know should anyone have any idea. I suspect it was in the Work Environment, but I don't understand this stuff. I had many (40 -50) ProfileSets, maybe due to the fact AC doesn't seem to keep the settings very well. Most times I open the Work Environment it has gone to custom in most areas. I ditched all the old AC11 preferences too. The spinning beach ball was occurring after the library loaded. The time had grown to over a min, and now is back to 15 sec. or so. While this shouldn't happen (bug to me), it does.

So, I suspect I am not the only person this happens to, and I wonder how many people just live with it.

(ps.. to those who do beta, those preferences had already been trashed and I was having this problem).
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Rick
One thing that ticked me off recently was I just built a custom
tool box, made sure it was part of my screen profile,
saved the .pln; it stayed put for about a week, then,
BANG, the personalized tool box I made was gonzoed.
Just as if a thief came into my office and stole my stuff.
Hey GS; That I believe, should NOT be happening!
Bier
ps
I only have maybe three profiles, but my problem is
AC 12 does not shut down quickly sometimes,(1-2Min).
even if it is the only application open and all AC"windows" except
2d are closed.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Rick wrote:
...Most times I open the Work Environment it has gone to custom in most areas...
Rick:

You should be able to select your existing Work Environment profile and click on Redefine rather than creating new profiles. Thanks for the tip on deleting unused profiles.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Rick Thompson
Expert
That's the sad part, I do. It still reverts to "custom" regularly, and I assume that is where all the temp ones come from.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Just as a follow up to Rick's discovery, I looked at user/Library/Preferences/Graphisoft/AC 12.0.0 USA v1/WorkEnvironment and found over 100 ProfileSet files (ProfileSet0662889033.xml for example). They are only 4KB in size, but it seems like these files should not be propagating like this.

David

Edit for spelling
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Stress Co_
Advisor
David wrote:
I looked at user/Library/Preferences/Graphisoft/AC 12.0.0 USA v1/WorkEnvironment and found over 100 ProfileSet files
I've got 250
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Karl Ottenstein
I had around 350.

This is some minor bug, but I do not believe it affects startup times. Each time I launch AC 12, a new ProfileSetxxx.xml file is created - before the open dialog appears. So, just Start AC and then click the Quit button, and there is another xml file.

Each file is identical.

I'll report it.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
David wrote:
Just as a follow up to Rick's discovery, I looked at user/Library/Preferences/Graphisoft/AC 12.0.0 USA v1/WorkEnvironment and found over 100 ProfileSet files (ProfileSet0662889033.xml for example). They are only 4KB in size, but it seems like these files should not be propagating like this.
Slightly different path - username/Library/Preferences/Graphisoft/AC 12.0.0 INT v1/x86/WorkEnvironment - and found 560 of these!
Ralph Wessel BArch
Karl Ottenstein
Ralph wrote:
Slightly different path - username/Library/Preferences/Graphisoft/AC 12.0.0 INT v1/x86/WorkEnvironment - and found 560 of these!
Oops. Yeah, left off the x86 folder. So, now we know you fired up AC 12 560 times since the last fresh install. At least one of us is really working! 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Rick Thompson
Expert
Karl wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Oops. Yeah, left off the x86 folder. So, now we know you fired up AC 12 560 times since the last fresh install. At least one of us is really working! 😉

Cheers,
Karl
I guess my measly 40/50 says a lot about the housing market However, I never shut it down... wishful thinking
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display