Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

JavaRuntime environment for what?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
A few months ago I got the demo cd for ArchiCad 9 for Windows. On 2 different machines (at different times) I've had problems with ArchiCad. The first is being able to run ArchiCad under a user account that is not an Administrator. It just gives me an error (failure to initialize) when I try to run it on another account. I've tried going and changing rights to folders and files and nothing has an effect.

The second issue is what is the Java Runtime used for? On two different machines with the Java Runtime installed it will lock up my computer if I try to move any windows around. I thought it just happened when running ArchiCad, but I noticed constant lockups even when ArchiCad wasn't running. With nothing to lose I figured I would uninstall the Java Runtime. So far that seems to have done the trick and all the help files seem to work too. This also happens when I get the latest version of Java Runtime and install it.

So a question I have is, what purpose is the Java Runtime Environment being used for and why is Graphisoft installing it on our computers, when from my experience so far, the program can run and function (at least demo functionality) without it.

My machine specs are: Athlon64 3200+, Abit AN8, 2gb Corsair DDR400, eVGA 6800GT(pci-e), M-Audio Revolution 7.1, Epson Stylus Photo 1280, Epson Perfection 3200, Wacom 9x12, WinXP Pro w/SP2.

Thank you for any help or info.

matt
2 REPLIES 2
Djordje
Ace
mattbetea wrote:
Hello,
A few months ago I got the demo cd for ArchiCad 9 for Windows. On 2 different machines (at different times) I've had problems with ArchiCad.
You have to have Administrator rights or log in as Administrator in order to install ArchiCAD; it says so in the Readme.

Java Runtime is used for the Installer; it is possible that an existing version of Java runtime caused a conflict.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
Installing it is no problem, I install everything under admin account. I'm talking about actually using the program once it's installed. Searching the boards I've found a couple others that have had this problem, but no resolution was ever posted.

As for the JavaRuntime, to the best of my knowledge there was no Java installed prior to installing ArchiCad. There shouldn't have been because ArchiCad was the first app I installed after a clean install of Windows. I did notice that sun has a newer version on their site. I'll try installing that first before installing ArchiCad again and see if that helps any. Thank you for your time.

matt