Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Keyboard shortcuts in new Mac system

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone!
A fellow co worker just bought a new Imac sth and installed the AC v.13 greek. We cannot use any of the known shortcuts such as ctrl +D (drag) ctrl +A (select all) and F5 and everything. I dont know what to do, when I go to shortcuts it doesnt let me push the buttons to specify a new shortcut for anything but when I click on the show all available shortcuts the list contains everything as it was always.

Anyone ??
19 REPLIES 19
Erika Epstein
Booster
You will have to set up new shortcuts for the mac. Not too difficult as most are substituting alt/opt and cmd/ctl.

BUT, because of the difference in placement of these keys relative to the main keyboard, whomever is working on the mac should develop shortcut keys that don't contort his/her hand.

This feature allows everyone to use the keyboard shortcuts that fit their hand when office standards don't work.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
WENDY_NEVERLAND wrote:
Hello everyone!
A fellow co worker just bought a new Imac sth and installed the AC v.13 greek. We cannot use any of the known shortcuts such as ctrl +D (drag) ctrl +A (select all) and F5 and everything.
Macs don't use the ctrl key for menu shortcuts - use the command key instead (it has an Apple logo on it). So Drag is command-D rather than ctrl-D. To use the function keys for F1-F12, hold down the fn key too.

In case you feel inclined to blame Apple for the difference, don't forget that the Mac keyboard shortcuts were developed long before Windows existed. I think some of the default keyboard shortcuts are really painful too, and I've changed many of them.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Ralph wrote:
/... To use the function keys for F1-F12, hold down the fn key too.
/....
Or, see attached regarding the Function keys. I also disable many default shortcuts so
that there isn't any conflict with keys set in ArchiCAD.
Look under the icon in your menu for System Preferences.
Mac keyboard+shortcuts.png
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph wrote:
WENDY_NEVERLAND wrote:
Hello everyone!
A fellow co worker just bought a new Imac sth and installed the AC v.13 greek. We cannot use any of the known shortcuts such as ctrl +D (drag) ctrl +A (select all) and F5 and everything.
Macs don't use the ctrl key for menu shortcuts - use the command key instead (it has an Apple logo on it). So Drag is command-D rather than ctrl-D. To use the function keys for F1-F12, hold down the fn key too.

In case you feel inclined to blame Apple for the difference, don't forget that the Mac keyboard shortcuts were developed long before Windows existed. I think some of the default keyboard shortcuts are really painful too, and I've changed many of them.
Im sorry I didnt want to blame Mac and I know that the command key should be used instead of the ctrl key of windows, but it doesnt work either way. It seems to me like sth is wrong, because it doesnt let me use the keyboard shortcut menus to create shortcuts myself.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
WENDY_NEVERLAND wrote:
...it doesnt work either way. It seems to me like sth is wrong, because it doesnt let me use the keyboard shortcut menus to create shortcuts myself.
What happens if you use "New and Reset"? Does the Edit > Move menu look like the attached image, i.e. do the keyboard shortcuts match?
Ralph Wessel BArch
Erika Epstein
Booster
The shortcuts shown in the file menu as in your screen shot will reflect the ACTIVE Work Environment (WE) keyboard short cuts.
A new & reset will result in the default AC template file being the open active pln but with your most recent active WE still active.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Erika wrote:
A new & reset will result in the default AC template file being the open active pln but with your most recent active WE still active.
New and Reset should return everything (including the Work Environment) to factory settings. Keyboard shortcuts, palette positions, etc will all revert to the original shipping defaults.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Erika Epstein
Booster
Ralph wrote:
New and Reset should return everything (including the Work Environment) to factory settings. Keyboard shortcuts, palette positions, etc will all revert to the original shipping defaults.
I agree it should but it didn't. I just rechecked this.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Erika wrote:
I agree it should but it didn't. I just rechecked this.
Odd - it works for me. Just tried now with AC14. Did you hold down the alt key so File > New > New... changes to File > New > New & Reset All?
Ralph Wessel BArch