Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Keynotes and labeling

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't get the keynotes in the label command to work. There is a list of different types but nothing shows up. If I 'go through the motions' I get prompts for the leader, but no note and no text, nothing! Is there an easy way to annotate drawings in archicad.
11 REPLIES 11
TomWaltz
Participant
I'm not really sure what you mean. The Label Tool does not really place keynotes, it just calls out Element ID... do have the the keynote add-on from CAD Image?
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's in the Label Default settings dialog, on the right hand side. The default is text, but if you hit the arrow, there is a keynote option.
Picture 3.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
Are you using Cadimage's Keynote add-on?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Would I have to be, to get the Key note option? I want to be able to easily key or annotate my drawings. I find it very 'quirky'. I have to either right a text and come back and add lines w/ arrows or I have to put in label and then go into the label settings and change the text. What am I doing wrong?
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Depends what you mean by keynotes. I use different labels to dynamically call out beams, columns and walls (these automatically get the text in the element's ID' field). If by keynote you mean a geometric label with a reference number in it, there are many label options besides the 'keynote' label that can do this for you. You can place the labels/keynotes as 'freestanding references' or you can select an element (beam, slab, wall, etc) and apply 'label elements' - then select the label part only and change it to whatever you want. Typically you can write a number of your choosing with the parameter called 'custom' text - or you can call an element's ID field. What have you tried?

Also - if you don't see a label style you like, look in the GDL 'depository' or whatever they called it m- there are lots more, like JM's shape label, for example.
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
I think we're talking about extracting a keynote legend from a database, right? Definitely a big wish for me. Cadimage's solution is close, but still not perfect. I've had problems with their Excel-to-XML export, and getting the geometry right. Plus, I hate plugins when my whole office needs them. It becomes another maintenance chore.

All I want is to create a legend with all of the labels (filtered) on a specific layout (or just a drawing), and match that to a simple database that is preferably updated as it's edited. I don't care about how it's entered... MSWord, Notepad, Excel, or within ArchiCAD... I just don't like import/export and the opportunities for errors it brings.
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
KeesW
Advocate
We are CadImage keynote users and find it pretty good. The conversion from Excel only needs to be done once - the first time. There after new notes, and modifications to existing notes, are done through the CadImage Keynote tool - which is located with other menus along the top of the ArchiCad desktop.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
I didn't catch that before. I thought you had to do all of your edits in Excel and export. Maybe it changed, or I got it wrong. At any rate, it's worth another try. I haven't tried it since upgrading to AC11.

Thank you!

Chuck
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
KeesW
Advocate
You're 1/3 right. One can't add or change 'Categories' without going back to the spreadsheet. Categories are the main trade sections or main topic headings into which you want to sort the notes or group the labels. However, Keynotes includes a routine for getting back to the spreadsheet to make these changes. This is not as convenient as it could be. Once you have the right categories, changing and adding notes withing them is very straightforward.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU