BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Laptop PC recommendations

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am looking to buy a new PC laptop. Anyone have any recommendations? I would like to spend around $1200 but might be willing to go as high as $1500. I need the flexibility of a laptop. Is not going to be worth it to go with a laptop if this is all I am able spend? Any thoughts or suggestions.
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
I'll let others recommend. But, if you're looking at a Dell, then in that price range you might consider the Inspiron 9300 with 17" screen. Or if 15.4 is adequate, there are various other options.

Every Sunday night (Monday morning) - ? - new discount coupon codes are listed at:
www.techbargains.com
and
www.amazing-bargains.com

Typical most weeks is one for $750 off a system costing $1999 or more ... which would bring a pricey system down to your budget. 😉

Coupon codes are good for only a few days and for only a few thousand uses...

Karl

PS A lot of people seem to have HP laptops and are happy with them. I find them noisy and flimsy. But, you can get a lot for a little money on an HP...and often coupons at the above sites. The HP z8000 (I think that's the newest line now?) 17" screen model has a numeric keypad, unlike the Dell which, like Apple, just wastes the space.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I agree with Karl. Depending on the configuration, Dell's Inspiron 9300 should come within your price range (or close to it). Big discounts are being offered lately.

Steve
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the replies. I have a couple more questions though. Has anyone used the Dell Inspiron 6000. It got good reviews on PCWorld. Its about $400 cheaper than the Inspiron 9300 with same configurations. The only exception was the graphics card, the best one offered was the (128MB DDR ATI's MOBILITY™ RADEON X300 PCI Express x16 Graphics). Anybody know if there would be a big difference performance wise by using this card over the (256MB NVIDA® GeForce™ Go 6800). Also I thought I heard or read somwhere that (Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition) was the way to go for operating system and to stay away from (Microsoft Windows XP Professional). What advantages would professional offer. Also what are the advantages to using (Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005). Also, does anyone recommend getting a warranty past the standard 1 year that Dell offers. Is it worth it? Thanks for your help.
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Mike,

I'm sure the Dell Inspiron 6000 would work just fine. I find a 128mb video card to be sufficient. My reason for suggesting the 9300 was for screen size (17"). Also, I think the 9300 comes with a 3 year warranty-you pay extra for the 6000. Check Dell.com-last week that was the case. With that extra warranty, the price difference might be even closer.

Steve
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Learn and get certified!