Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

License usage reporting

DavorP
Enthusiast

Hi,

Is there a way to log licence usage? Of course, it is possible to go to codemeter webadmin and have a look at current license use but I am interested to see max licenses used daily/weekly for example and don't have the time to check every half an hour. I know we are not hitting the limit as there hasn't been a user without a license for a while so we might be paying more than we have to for AC license + BIM cloud license on top.  We have about 50 licenses and some form of a report that would give us a bit more insight would be useful.

BIM manager
4 REPLIES 4
scottjm
Expert

There is an option in Codemeter to active license usage logging.  There is a RegKey you have to add for it to show up in the WebUI.  There are details in the Codemeter manual. 

However I was finding this tracking logs was splitting the report into short 1 or 2 day graphs which wasn't overly helpful.  I couldn't work out how to adjust it.

In the end I wrote a python script to query the Codemeter WebUI every 15mins and log the usage count to a CSV and then graphed that in Excel.

I'm not sure about BIMCloud Licenses sorry.

Hope that helps,

Scott

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe
DCAB
Participant

Hi DavorP,

we are tracking the license usage with the CmDust which installs with the codemeter software.

That creates a .log-file in your userfolder with all the license information and codemeter activities.

In one part of the .log there are detailed information of the use of the licenses (like IP, time, user, license number, etc.).

After filtering that file for my specific use, i output a formatted .csv, send it to another server where Grafana is installed and upload it to the database to visualize it with different diagrams.

With that we are able to track the license usage every 10 minutes, see if someone is using multiple licenses, how many are working from the office and from outside the office, how many unique people used a license in the past 30 days and so on.

In terms of the BIMcloud licenses, the .log created by CmDust also contains informations about that. Not as detailed as the Archicad-License, but at least how many BIMcloud licenses you have and how many are used/ free.

Hope i could help,

DCAB

scottjm
Expert

Hi @DCAB - are you running cmdust periodically to populate a csv?  Just checked my output and it only shows the current license usage, and about 1 days worth of logs.

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe

Hi Scott,

yes, the Powershell-script is triggered every 10 minutes and creates a new .log-file with CmDust, since it only captures the conditions at the moment it is called.

sincerely,

DCAB