Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Line appears in view but not in drawing

MGA
Booster
Hello, I am new here, and a new Archicad user and am still finding my way around the software as well as this forum. Apologies if this is not posted in the correct place.

I have a problem with a model that I am working on, it is not a big problem but an irritating one and I hope someone can help me solve it.

I have a drawing (roof plan) on a worksheet which has an erroneous line which I would like to get rid of. However, I cannot find the line anywhere in the model. If I explode the drawing into current view, the line explodes as with the other elements of the drawing, and If i drag the drawing around on the worksheet the line moves with it (suggesting that the line is part of the drawing). However, if I open source view with layout as trace reference, the line appears as part of the layout trace reference and toggles on/off with the trace reference (suggesting it is part of the layout). It appears on both my existing and proposed roof plans.

Please see screenshots attached. the line in question is the dashed line highlighted / selected to the left of the main roof plan in each screenshot.

I am using Archicad 22 solo on a windows 7 pc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Max
Archicad 23 Solo, Dell Precision 5540, Windows 10 Pro, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz, 32GB RAM
9 REPLIES 9
MGA
Booster
additional screenshots...
Archicad 23 Solo, Dell Precision 5540, Windows 10 Pro, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz, 32GB RAM
ksjhawk
Enthusiast
If you right click on the view in the layout and click "Open Source View", do you see the line? I usually ask the stupid question first, is it possibly on a layer that's turned off in you modeling view?
MacBook Pro Apple M1 Max 64GB ram
OS X 12.4
AC26 - AC6.5
MGA
Booster
Hi, thanks for the reply. No the line doesn't appear if I open source view as you have suggested. I have also turned on all layers and looked for it but I can't find it! It only appears in the drawing on the layout.
ksjhawk
Enthusiast
Would you be willing to post the file? The only other immediate thought I have is that it is a pen color that blends with the background, but undoubtedly you'd see that too if you selected everything. I love figuring out little things like this and agree this is an annoying one that would frustrate me.
MacBook Pro Apple M1 Max 64GB ram
OS X 12.4
AC26 - AC6.5
Karl Ottenstein
MGA,

Your screenshots are too small to illustrate anything, at least on my end. The one screenshot that might be useful is the line drawing one ... but in it you have Grouping enabled, and so every roof plane has selection dots. Suspend grouping, then select the roof plane that has the problematic line and take a screenshot of that for us.

My guess is that you are seeing the non-printing roof pivot line. This line's visibility is controlled in the model view by an On Screen View Option.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Karl wrote:
My guess is that you are seeing the non-printing roof pivot line. This line's visibility is controlled in the model view by an On Screen View Option.
I don't think it is the Roof Pivot Line. They do not show up on placed Drawings in Layouts, and that line has a small perpendicular line at its center indicating the slope direction.

MGA: You can also try turning on all the Renovation Filters in the View to see if it shows up.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
MGA
Booster
Thanks everyone who has replied. Whilst I have now 'solved' this issue, I have not 'resolved' why it has occurred. I have stripped out everything from the file, and this dashed line seems to be associated with a line object which I have drawn on my roof layer. if I delete or even move this line, then the problem line also disappears. This looks to me like a bug, but I am still fairly unfamiliar with the software so probably not best placed to make that call. If anyone is interested I would be happy to upload the file. Can anyone point me to a sticky perhaps about how this should be done? I cant seem to include it here as an attachment. Many thanks, Max
Eduardo Rolon
A "line object" that is seen dashed might mean that you drew a line using the Morph tool. These lines are 3D objects with settings so that they can be seen above or below their story with different line types.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

MGA
Booster
Hello. I thought I would post an update on this, for anyone who is interested. To give a bit more context - the original issue was in my first project using Archicad. I have since carried out a few more projects and become more familiar with the software. For each new project I would simply copy the PLN file, and delete the old project elements - allowing me to keep all my layouts and views as I want without having to set them up from scratch. Anyway, on my latest project, I noticed that the 'mystery line' had persisted, and was still present in my roof plan!

I troubleshot as follows:

1. As before, the line shows on the drawing placed to layout. I did 'explode into current view' command. This allowed me to select and inspect the line. I found that the line type was dashed, and was pen 70 - associated by default with the beam reference line. I suspect then that this line is coming from a beam.

2. I set up a schedule looking for beams on the roof layer. There shouldn't be any, but there was one! The schedule reported a beam with length 0.00 and with no 3D axonometric preview available.

3. I used the 'select in 3D button' from the schedule. No dice. I got an error message telling me it can't select it because it is not visible in the 3D window. Well I tried changing all the 3D cut and filter settings as per the error message, but got nowhere.

4. I used 'select on floor plan' button from the schedule. This one worked! Whilst the plan itself showed nothing (regardless of using zoom to window, turning on reference lines, anything to try and make it display) the element properties panel showed that a beam had been selected.

5. I deleted the beam, and the line disappeared. Happy days.

6. Still curious - I undid this and inspected the beam. Turns out it was an empty custom profile that I must have made back when I was learning the basics.

I'm not sure really what the lesson here is. Don't have empty complex profiles I guess is one. It would be nice if there were safeguards against this type of thing, perhaps we shouldn't be able to create them in the first place, but who knows, maybe there is a use for this that I don't know about. Anyway, it took almost two years to the day to solve, but I am very happy now that I have managed to get rid of this cursed line!