BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Lost WIBU key

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have read that there is a replacement policy for lost or stolen dongles.
I have searched the whole forum and the GS website for details, and cannot find anything. Fortunately, I don't need one at this time, but I've always been terribly afraid of misplacing the dongle. I use a laptop and with several other users, I too have a concern about this method of authentication being easy to loose or damage.
Hopefully, there will be something to address it someday. (Maybe a log on every 30 days to authenticate?)
Anyway, can anyone point me in the direction of 'how to' for replacement, just in case it arises?
I did not check with my re-seller, as it seemed like this was a G.S. policy.
Thanks in advance
Glen
9 REPLIES 9
Karl Ottenstein
gvanorman wrote:
I did not check with my re-seller, as it seemed like this was a G.S. policy.
Your reseller (David P?) is who you should contact. The replacement depends on if you are on subscription (free) or not. Policy varies by country. Police report required AFAIK if it was stolen; not sure what is required in the case of loss. In any case, your reseller is the contact to make things happen.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Thomas Holm
Booster
We had one stolen once, along with computer 'n all. We got 10% off on a new license (around USD 5000 at that time). Luckily, most of it was covered by our office insurance (we did not have one especially of Archicad).
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
David Pacifico
Booster
Hello Glen and Karl
$100 plus shipping for a lost or stolen key. A letter and/or police report stating that it's lost is correct.
David Pacifico, RA

AC27 iMac i9, 32 gig Ram, 8 gig video Ram
Thomas Holm
Booster
David wrote:
$100 plus shipping
Well, that's better than 5000 !
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Dave Brach
Advocate
$100 plus shipping. That would be nice. I just lost my key and Graphisoft charges $850 to replace, which in my humble opinion is completely unfair. If I were on subscription it would be free. I understand that Graphisoft wants people on subscription and that is has its perks, but being charged that kind of money for an honest mistake makes my blood boil. The dongle system is frankly a pain in the butt for a small practitioner like myself who is constantly on the go. I will never recommend Archicad to other practitioners based on this.
Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
Karl Ottenstein
Out of curiosity, Dave, does that $850 price include a one year subscription? (Or are you still on AC 16 as in your signature?)
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Dave Brach
Advocate
I am on 16, so of course I don't get free replacement.

I guess I just don't understand exactly what the value of replacement is. When I pay for the initial software, or pay to upgrade, I am (despite the pain of spending money) excited about what I am getting for that money. But $850 for a lost key? Is guess it is just a very good deterrent to losing your key.
Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
Karl Ottenstein
We missing each other here, Dave. My question was what else you got for your $850? Sounds like if you are on 16, then it really is only the replacement key... and they're trying to incentivize you to upgrade to 18 and subscription (which would then give you the key...making the 850 a discount on he upgrade).

Have you been in touch with your reseller, Chris Clark of Visual Motion, or only with GS US / Boston? Call Chris if you haven't to see what options he can offer you.
Dave wrote:
But $850 for a lost key? Is guess it is just a very good deterrent to losing your key.
...or a super strong message that they want us all to be on subscription = SSA = ArchiPlus (in the US).
Karl Ottenstein
Well, just checked Chris' site, and the list price for an upgrade from 16 plus ArchiPlus (SSA) is $2,690 = 1840 more than just replacing your key. But, then you'd have free key replacement as well as an upgrade to 19 coming your way next year. Big chunk of change, but perhaps better than tossing away 850?

http://visualmotion.com/pageview.aspx?id=30924

Chris might have other options for you...
Learn and get certified!