Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

M1 Pro / M1 Max

Wendell
Participant

announced today

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-14-and-16/

Any early adopters want to share their experience with this?

Anyone from Graphisoft able to share the current status of M1 native Archicad?

8 REPLIES 8
Mogwai
Contributor

I have some more questions in the same thread, hope it's ok to hijack. 😉
- will both AC24 and AC25 support both M1 Pro and M1 Max in the same time?
Do we have a date for this happening for planning in our companies?

Thanks!

Izbits
Participant

It will definitely be interesting to see how Archicad would run natively on the new M1 Pro / Max given the reported performance increase, especially graphic power. I imagine that having high performance in Archicad and portability would benefit quite a few users. I’m keen to see what Graphisoft have planned for Apple silicon and what the real world stats would be like. 

I have not seen anything from Graphisoft other than this article by Minh:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Setup-License-articles/Performance-review-with-M1/ta-p/304124

which was last updated 7 Sept 2021.  There is no difference from a program perspective between an M1, M1 Pro and M1 Max (just as software that runs on the Intel i5, i7, i9, Xeon, etc processor).

That article gives no indication when a native M1 version (or Universal version) of ARCHICAD will be made available for any release.  The article reports that internal test in Rosetta 2 Intel emulation mode had no severe issues with AC23, AC24, AC25 or BIMcloud 2020.3 ... with a couple of issues listed at the end of the article.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Hi all,

Thank you very much for your interest in this matter!

We plan to have the new machines tested as soon as possible. Due to the chip shortage, it may take a while for us to acquire these new machines. Once we have the result, we will share the result in this article.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Hi all,

I have just received my 16" M1 Pro laptop and have started running Archicad 25 build 4013. Will come back here with some findings every now and then ya. Mine is:

• Apple M1 Pro with 10-core CPU, 16-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine
  • 32GB unified memory

Hello.
How did work out witch AC25 and your new computer? Is there any bugs or problems occurring? Do you save as solo project or do you work with teamwork files as well? Thank you!

So far I have good times with my M1 Pro. I'm working with Teamwork files hotlinking the STR and MEP rvts and ifcs for the purpose of clash detections. I have not really have the time to test every tools yet.

The only issue after a while was the open dialog box went very wide. But this is easily solved by following https://www.learnvirtual.com/how-to-resize-long-open-save-dialog-boxes-in-Archicad-on-mac-monterey/

I've been working on the M1 Max MBPro (32GB RAM, 1TB SSD) with AC22, 24 & 25 (depending on client) and so far no issues except that things still take a few seconds to do. I would think once Archicad is M1 native it should blow the doors off with its speed. I want no beachballs, no one or two second lags when updating the drawings on a sheet in the Layouts. With all of the computing power in the M1 architecture, I would think that zero lag would be a possibility with M1 native code.

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System