Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Mac M1 Max and Archicad 25 bug in 3D

Karol Argasinski
Enthusiast

Dear Archicad Friends,

I wanted to ask, do you have the same issue when selecting elements in 3D. Let's say I select different elements (doors, windows, etc). When I hold shift and click from one element to another, to select those which I want, in 99,99% of cases Archicad will activate the cmd+D/move function for a whole group of elements... it is, to say the least, A VERY FRUSTRATING thing. Never happened on Windows and Intel Mac. 

I have to say, I am thinking about buying a second machine on Windows, after seeing the performance on M1 Max. I am not even mentioning rendering, or, the worst of them all - recalculating 2D views/sheets. It works really bad. My Fiancee's Dell laptop with intel 8th gen has better performance, in every case.

Best regards Folks,
Karol

OPENBIM does works!
ArchiCAD 22/23/24/25/26/27 INT &POL

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 128GB RAM, GeForce RTX 3070, Windows 11 Pro
MBP 14 M1 Max 10C 32GB
http://www.bimfaktoria.pl/
11 REPLIES 11
Koji
Booster

I think that to make a fair assessment of the capabilities of the M1 we will have to wait for graphisoft to release the version compatible with the arm architecture.

What we now have from Archicad running under rossetta is a patch that works reasonably well, but it's only a patch.

The problem is that some users can't wait too long for this arm version, but if you can wait I suggest you do it before spending money on a pc. Hopefully the arm version of Archicad will fix all the performance issues.

Apple MacStudio M2max, Archicad 27 Spanish

I agree although I ditched mac for Nvidia and have never looked back and I left windows for Mac.  Mac is great if you want sub par everything, at least in the drafting rendering world.

For reference I bought the best Mac book pro available and I fell in love.

If Mac went Nvidia I'd sell a kidney if needed.

But apple is slowly sewing their own doors shut IMHO.

I hate windows and you couldn't pay me to switch back to a Mac. And I'm running dev insider builds. So they are buggy as hell

I have to say that windows won't solve the problem as all my machines are windows and I struggle with the same issue. What I have found is that it is strictly based on user input. If I click just a split second too fast or hit the key on the keyboard the split second too fast I won't get my desired outcome I have to quite literally slow down and time things perfectly to execute the way I want inside Archicad. I also had this issue several years ago on my Mac and have always had it on my Windows machines and sometimes the worst, is when you're trying to select and publish DWG layouts and you accidentally drag a copies of all the files you were trying to publish. I don't always publish all my DWG files just the ones I need.

I disagree, it is not about slow input. Literally, the same AC version with the same updates on two different computers works definitely differently. It is not about speed even, it is strictly the User Experience side (if you click on something, it should work). Archicad works better on Parallels, even if it doesn't have OpenGL.
As for Mac M1Max, it is really bad with point clouds too. I base my work mostly on point clouds inventories and believe me if I could have a Windows laptop with integrated graphics it would work better than on M1 Max. I understand this is strict because of the emulation that is happening but c'mon! Rebuilding drawings, moving/panning/zooming... basic stuff is really bad.

I really hope AC 26 will change all of it and will let me forget about those struggles. As for now... it is not performing well. (the same is with Intel-based Macs w/Monterey. I don't have issues with Windows 11 though.

Best
Karol

OPENBIM does works!

MBP 14 M1 Max 10C 32GB
Barry Kelly

I would suggest that as you are Shift+clicking to select extra elements, you are slightly moving your cursor.

This will invoke the drag you are experiencing.

When you are SHIFT+clicking rapidly, it is very easy to slightly move you mouse as you click.

Also in your Work Environment make sure you have 'CAD like' mouse clicking turned on.

BarryKelly_0-1649032554808.png

This way if you let go of the mouse button, the elements don't automatically just move (you have to click again).

This gives you the opportunity to right click and cancel the move and continue SHIFT clicking to pick more elements.

This is with a regular button mouse, I'm not sure how those funny Mac mice with no buttons work.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Hi Barry,

Thank you for vital input, as always. I will try that.
The main reason of my struggle is that this is strictly the same app and during working on Windows I do not see any issues regarding UX/UI. Here there are plenty. 

Karol

OPENBIM does works!

MBP 14 M1 Max 10C 32GB

@Karol Argasinski Its a bug. If you have a whole bunch of elements selected in the 3D window and then try and deselect individual items Archicad tries to move all the selected.

Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone

I have reported this as a bug

however

IF you are very careful NOT to move the cursor then about 50% of the times you can delete the element

tryingToDeleteOneItem.png

but it is much too sensitive and to make it work you have to slow down

IF you click the element and NOT a node deselection works fine

Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone

Holy crap! I didn't even realize this and have been assuming it was my timing!

I don't use a mouse so I have thought that's the problem. Nice find. Will help knowing what's happening for sure.