Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Mac OS X Mavericks

Tamas Eros
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Apple released Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9) yesterday as a free upgrade. Please find our compatibility notes, upgrade checklist and other useful information in this ArchiCAD Wiki article: http://archicadwiki.com/OsxMavericks
Tamas Eros
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT
Follow us on Twitter
GRAPHISOFT HelpCenter - the ArchiCAD knowledge base
65 REPLIES 65
Eduardo Rolon
and with a 15" Retina with NVidia GT 650M
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

matthewjj
Newcomer
I am having an issue others reported during beta testing - OpenGL engine is totally white. I see nothing. I can select things blindly, but nothing is visible, not even node points. Switching to Internal Engine I can see fine. This is the case in both 16 and 17.

My machine at home is an early 2008 iMac with ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB / 4 GB RAM / 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo. I wonder if there is some truth to the graphics card idea.

Hey Jared!
matt johnson
archicad since 2004
imac 27, 4.2 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB RAM, radeon 575 4 GB, macOS 10.14.6
imac, 4.0ghz i7, 16gb ram, Radeon M9 390 2GB, OS X El Capitan
JaredBanks
Mentor
Hey Matt!
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
drh64
Contributor
Karl - I'm on a late 12 Imac with:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1024 MB
Karl Ottenstein
I took the leap after reading the other success stories... and all is fine on my wife's 2009 Macbook Pro with NVidia 9400M as well as my Mac Pro with ATI 5770. No issues at all in OpenGL.

So summarizing the reports so far below [edited to include posts above], the problem with crashing / white screen are:

ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT (Matt - old card with only 128 MB VRAM)
NVidia GeForce GTX 675MX (Daniel - Crash OpenGL; OK with Internal)

Working fine:
ATI Radeon 6770M (Jared)
NVidia GeForce GTX 285 (Eduardo)
NVidia GT 650M (Eduardo)
Nvidia 9400M (Karl)
ATI Radeon 5770 (Karl)

Look forward to what tech support suggests to Daniel... as it seems that it could be a graphics card issue...

So far... liking the changes/improvements in Mavericks, other than I have not yet figured out how to put some ArchiCAD palettes on my 2nd monitor and have them stay there... they keep leaping back to the monitor with the main app window if I switch to another app and return to AC. Anyone have that one figured out?

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Karl wrote:
So far... liking the changes/improvements in Mavericks, other than I have not yet figured out how to put some ArchiCAD palettes on my 2nd monitor and have them stay there... they keep leaping back to the monitor with the main app window if I switch to another app and return to AC. Anyone have that one figured out?
Finally found it... it is not possible to stretch apps between multiple monitors with the new Mavericks default, which gives each monitor its own set of Spaces.

Some apps, like Mail, will let windows reside on multiple desktops - but won't allow palettes (e.g., color-picker) to stick anywhere but with the primary window.

It is possible to get back to the Mountain Lion behavior by unticking the "Displays have separate spaces" box in Mission Control t (attached). I'll have to work a few days to see if I want to do that... I like having separate spaces per-Monitor and the ability to run apps full screen on each... but dislike not being able to get AC palettes (e.g., Organizer) to 'stick' on another monitor as in prior OS X versions. So, will have to see what trade-off wins the day over time...
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
matthewjj
Newcomer
Karl wrote:
Look forward to what tech support suggests to Daniel... as it seems that it could be a graphics card issue... however it looks like Jared and Matt are using the same card and Jared had no problems. The 2400 XT should have problems since it only has 128 MB of memory. But, the 9400M with only 512 MB is working fine.
l
Karl, I apologize for not clarifying which machine was affected. My trouble is only with the older iMac I use at home. I have not tested my iMac at work with the ATI Radeon 6770M. We have 30-40 of these iMacs with the same specs at our office so I am happy to hear that Jared's machine is working well with that same card.
matt johnson
archicad since 2004
imac 27, 4.2 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB RAM, radeon 575 4 GB, macOS 10.14.6
imac, 4.0ghz i7, 16gb ram, Radeon M9 390 2GB, OS X El Capitan
Karl Ottenstein
matthewjj wrote:
Karl, I apologize for not clarifying which machine was affected. My trouble is only with the older iMac I use at home. I have not tested my iMac at work with the ATI Radeon 6770M. We have 30-40 of these iMacs with the same specs at our office so I am happy to hear that Jared's machine is working well with that same card.
Aha. Thanks for posting that...will edit the 'summary' post below... good to know that the group of cards not working is completely separate from the group that IS working.

I wouldn't have expected your old 128 MB VRAM card to work with 17, since the minimal specs for 17 are 256 MB VRAM. For 16, the 256 minimum was only a recommendation (the recommendation for 17 is a minimum of 512 MB VRAM):
http://www.graphisoft.com/support/system_requirements/

Thanks!
Karl
Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
Karl wrote:

Finally found it... it is not possible to stretch apps between multiple monitors

Hi Karl

You can also do this app by app. Just right click on the running application and from 'Options' check 'Assign to all Desktops'. I guess this way you can have full screen on separate displays and still have your ArchiCAD palettes floating wherever you like. (I posted this on the original Mavericks thread)
HTH
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Karl Ottenstein
Thanks, Ben! Will give that a try tomorrow.

Karl