Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Mac Pro 2013

Anonymous
Not applicable
Very surprised to see no thread on the latest Mac Pro...I would have thought there are a lot of users hanging out for one...or has it been too long coming?

Look pretty fantastical but the price is sure to match!
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry to hear that Ken, a speedier ArchiCAD seems to be really an issue of software not hardware. What other types of permanence tweaks have you noticed with your MacPro? Do any FinalCut or other video work?
Karl Ottenstein
And not just software... Only certain apps are likely to benefit from the dual cards on the new Mac Pro. Latest iMac is a better buy for pretty much equal performance for things like ArchiCAD and Artlantis:

http://www.barefeats.com/tube17.html
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just finished setting up my new Mac Pro (with Yosemite) purchase to replace the old 2008. This thing is a beautiful work of industrial design. It sits nicely behind my old 30" Cinema HD monitor. Keeping that monitor greatly pushed my decision for another work station (I also have a 27" iMac which I love).

Upgrades were a 6 core with 32g ram. Still on AC15 which is not compatable with 10.10 so have ponied up for AC18 too. Can't wait to explore the Cinema 4D rendering.

Initial observations: I really like having a desk top machine again. Everything plugs in waist high and no crawling around under a desk.
I use a wireless track pad and discovered it is buggy with Yosemite. Mac still hasn't solved the problem from Mavericks. The connection kicks on and off quite regular. I think I'll try a Magic Mouse tomorrow.
Haven't installed AC18 yet so no report on speed etc.
Add-ons are external but thats OK. Picked up an Apple Super Drive CD I can use on this and my iMac both. Love the WD Passport external hard drives. Bought another 1TB for this to interface with Time Machine.