Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Mac multi-core vs PC multi-core

David Collins
Advocate
Does anyone know if there is there a fundamental difference in the way a Mac computer uses multiple cores, as opposed to Intel PC, which will dramatically affect processing times? My computer guy seems to think so and is keen to have me make the switch, but I'm wondering if the extra zero at the end of his upgrade proposal for the Mac might not have something to do with it...
David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
14 REPLIES 14
Eduardo Rolon
Or you can use VirtualBox which is free

http://www.virtualbox.org/
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

KeesW
Advocate
It is hard not to drift into performance comparisons. When I had our PCs built 12 months ago, it ran ArchiCad 40% faster than the then fastest Mac which had two dual core processors. Our PC cost as much as the Mac. I think that Mac's are stylistically fabulous but suspect that speed between the platforms depends on the components used (I think that explained it with our computers). If you custom build a computer (as we did), one can choose to combine better components than are found in off the shelf PC's or Macs.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Anonymous
Not applicable
KeesW wrote:
If you custom build a computer (as we did), one can choose to combine better components than are found in off the shelf PC's or Macs.
I don't know how true this is. I suppose a lot depends on the abilities, knowledge and resources of the custom builder. One thing I have noticed is the the custom shops often don't have access to the latest stuff since the first lots are often bought up by the big guys.

When I got my Mac Pro a friend of mine had a similar spec Windows machine built, but with the previous generation processors. I don't know if it was because they were unavailable or just prohibitively expensive in small lots. In any case I got a faster, better designed machine for about the same money. He did get a much fancier video card (Quadro instead of Geforce) but it doesn't seem to make that much difference.
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
He did get a much fancier video card (Quadro instead of Geforce) but it doesn't seem to make that much difference.
Doesn't make much difference in ArchiCAD, no. In 3Ds Max or the like it would though. The reason I would always go qith a Quadro is that they are fully supported by nVidia for use on business platforms. The geForce cards are not. They probably won't have problems, but if they do, tough biscuits.

Oh, and BTW, i use AC12 in Virtualbox on my home computer(running Ubuntu Hardy) and it works great!
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Anonymous
Not applicable
henrypootel wrote:
Oh, and BTW, i use AC12 in Virtualbox on my home computer(running Ubuntu Hardy) and it works great!
It does? 3D window as well?
Sorry, off topic I know...
Shall we move this to: Archicad for Linux area?
Could you share your experience with us?