Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

MacBook Pro with 2 external monitor goodness....How 2?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I snagged a freebie 19" Dell LCD monitor.....

OK all you Mac hippies......how can I achieve such a feature?
I'd like to use my MBP as my desktop without utilizing the 17"LCD lappy screen.

I want to use my 30" Dell LCD monitor as primary and a 2nd 19" LCD monitor for 3D window, word, excel, firefox...etc....

Attaching one external monitor is piece of cake....but an additional one?
hmmmmmm
6 REPLIES 6
Chazz
Enthusiast
To date there is no way to run a more than one external monitor from a MBP in the conventional sense. At least the last time I checked there was no PC card video adapter. However there is a box out there that splits the video from the DVI into 2 DVI's and allows a single video connection (up to the rez of a 30" monitor) to span 2 smaller monitors. Of the many downsides to this approach is that the menu bar will be split in two.

This is one of my few complaints with the MBP. My teammates Dells can run two monitors (one from DVI and one from VGA) however I notice that they never use the screen of the laptop itself when the machine is thus docked.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
Search and thee shall find:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gxm/products/mac/home.php

Runs about $ 240.00.
Ouch.
Chazz
Enthusiast
Antonin wrote:
Search and thee shall find:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gxm/products/mac/home.php

Runs about $ 240.00.
Ouch.
That was the exact box I was thinking of.

But the issue is that the MBP will only drive up to one 30" monitor. I think If you tried to do a 30" and a 19", you'd run out of video oomph. I think.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everybody, I am a college student and I have a very nice 24" LCD monitor that I use with my regular laptop, but I wasn't sure if you had to buy an Apple monitor for a Mac laptop or if the connections are all the same? Can you use a regular LCD HP Monitor with a APPLE MAC Laptop? Please help with your great knowledge and experience. Thanks for your help.
Dwight
Newcomer
You are fine as long as it has a regular VGA-type or a digital connection like they all do.

Macs have had conventional connectors for many years.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
OOps. Just checked the website since i am getting ready to order another laptop and the connector is no longer included - you'll need a specialized adapter from apple that can be ordered when you order the laptop.
Dwight Atkinson