BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Macbook Pro Retina bootcamp impossibly slow!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help me as I've spent 2 days trying to fix this.

I have a new MBPr (Macbook Pro Retina) 13" - upgraded i7 processor, 16gb ram, 1tb HDD, etc. I've set up Bootcamp to run and installed Windows 7 and a few other things (office etc).

I've downloaded the demo for Archicad 17 for both OSX and Windows - the OSX version runs perfectly, super quick, snappy, etc.

The Windows one is a disaster - takes about 2-3 minutes to get to the "start new project screen", then pausing/unpausing every couple of seconds while trying to move around in the 2D window.

Dragging in 2D frequently results in a 1-2 second pause after the completion of the command.

The 3D window pauses for a couple of seconds when selecting things. Forget trying to raise/lower the height of a wall in 3D, it's impossible.

I've disabled antivirus, disabled firewall - all drivers are updated to the latest version. I've watched the resource monitor but there is nothing unusual with CPU, memory, network or disk activity. Doesn't change if I'm online or offline.

I appreciate I don't have a dedicated graphics card but that doesn't explain it - in between pauses I can navigate around the 3D window pretty quickly, and of course it runs OK in OSX.

I've booted in Safe Mode with Networking and there is no change at all.

Has anyone else had these problems? Any guidance? I really want to work on the Windows side of things.
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
So I've just done a complete reinstall from scratch - new bootcamp partition, new copy of the OS, installed Archicad and nothing else. Still impossible to use.

BUT THEN, SUCCESS

Device Manager > Disk Drives > Apple SSD Properties > Policies > UNTICK "enable write caching on this device"

IT'S GLORIOUS! SO GLORIOUS!

4 seconds from pressing the icon to the new project page.

Hope this helps someone!
Marton Kiss
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
JeffreyStar wrote:
Hope this helps someone!
Thanks Jeffrey for sharing the solution, I am sure it will be helpful for many of us.

Cheers from GRAPHISOFT HQ,
Marton
Marton Kiss
VP, Product Success
GRAPHISOFT
Learn and get certified!