Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Macbook Pro Retina graphics issue

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just replaced a stolen laptop with a new one with nearly identical spec, a 15 macbook pro retina 2.2 ghz with intel Iris Pro graphics. The real time open GL navigation is much more choppy than on the previous machine. almost unusable. Are there any settings I should try changing to optimize smoothness?
13 REPLIES 13
Jacques Toerien
Participant
svenl wrote:
with intel Iris Pro graphics
This is your issue. The Iris Pro is not very good with OpenGL. While it's OK for lightweight work on a non-retina display, it's not going to give you great results on a retina display.

If you can return and swap the unit out get the Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz with the GT 750M Gfx processor.
2012 13" Macbook Pro 8GB Ram, OS X 10.14.6
2010 Mac Pro 2x 6 Core 2.93Ghz Xeon, 48Gb Ram, OS X 10.14.6, RX 580

To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem. - Douglas Adams
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks. I'm just barely within the return window and have ordered the one with the GT 750M
Anonymous
Not applicable
I just received the new laptop and set it up. The GT 750M card is indeed much more capable. Still not as smooth as my Pro with ATI Radeon HD 5770 (amazing for an older, lower end card). But a huge improvement.
Jacques Toerien
Participant
svenl wrote:
I just received the new laptop and set it up. The GT 750M card is indeed much more capable. Still not as smooth as my Pro with ATI Radeon HD 5770 (amazing for an older, lower end card). But a huge improvement.
Yeah, part of the problem is AC's code base is pretty old, also retina display takes a huge amount of bandwidth and requires the GPU to push around 2x - 2.5x the amount of pixels. Consider you also need to move all the extra textures, shadows etc and it all ads up.

I'm just really glad I've not gone down the Retina route, such a hassle! I'm quite happy with my 1920x1200 monitor thank you!

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Jacques wrote:
Yeah, part of the problem is AC's code base is pretty old, also retina display takes a huge amount of bandwidth and requires the GPU to push around 2x - 2.5x the amount of pixels.
What brings you to the conclusion that ArchiCAD's code base is pretty old? Could you explain? And how does a code base relate to this question which is about graphics card (not application) performance?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Jacques Toerien
Participant
Because we still don't have any advanced OpenGL features. Where is the tessellation, different AA methods, different texture renderers. Where is the on the fly ambient occlusion? Are we using the latest OpenGL features? No.

When last was AC's code optimised for display drivers in OS X? Why hasn't app nap been designed in yet, it's been out for a couple of years now?

The code is old. Maya got Viewport 2.0 a while ago which really pushes GPU's. Blender gets a code overhaul every couple of years (maybe because it's open source?)

Why is AC's 2D redraw speed so painfully slow on a DX 11 / OGL 4 GPU with 2GB ram? Maybe because it's rendering with the CPU? If you pan across a drawing you have to wait a second before your text and dimensions appear... it's been like this since V6.

Companies like Pixar are at the forefront of GPU / GFX integration. I would have thought a GS would be the same considering they develop visual tools.

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Well, many of the things you mention here are available in the Rendering Window. This sounds to me like you want (near) final rendering quality within the OpenGL mode so you don't even have to do Rendering?
I don't know if this is true but maybe this is not a priority for Graphisoft to provide such advanced features for the OpenGL mode.

Maybe you could make a wish about these advanced OpenGL functions and also state the reason why you think these should be in ArchiCAD. Then we can also see how much support the wish gets. At the moment I am neutral about the necessity of such features.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
PB
Advocate
App nap is available for ArchiCAD, as far as I can tell: I recall reading somewhere (probably on this forum) that it is better to disable it (in 'get info' panel for AC application) so that AC can cary out its background tasks without interruption.
AC27 Apple Silicon. Twinmotion.
16" M1 Max MacBook Pro 32GB, Apple Studio Display, MacOS14
PB
Advocate
Also, with the independent graphics card in the MacBook Pro, you may wish to turn off "Automatic graphics switching" in the 'Energy saver' control panel (system preferences) to ensure that you are not inadvertently using the less powerful GPU.
AC27 Apple Silicon. Twinmotion.
16" M1 Max MacBook Pro 32GB, Apple Studio Display, MacOS14