BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Make Start edition compatibile with .pln files

Anonymous
Not applicable
Im keen to downgrade to the Archichad start edition , as I cannot afford the upgrade pricing, however I think I may have problems with compatibilbity with older .pln files. anyone know of a workaround? Other than persuading GS to allow compatibility between Archicad start edition and Archicad!
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
Lennox wrote:
Im keen to downgrade to the Archichad start edition , as I cannot afford the upgrade pricing, however I think I may have problems with compatibilbity with older .pln files. anyone know of a workaround? Other than persuading GS to allow compatibility between Archicad start edition and Archicad!
Think seriously before you consider downgrading from a full license to START. Not only is the core for Start a full year behind the current professional version - the Start edition is simply a lot of features that you might be currently taking for granted. Opening PLN files could be the least of your concerns once you discover the limitations. I know of no workarounds for the file compatibility issues.

Even an old professional license will have more features than a current Start license. Start is really for people who want to just get started with AC, but cannot afford the full price of a license yet. For some, doing small projects without great detail, Start will be adequate. For most, they will later purchase a full license, getting credit for the price paid for Start.

See this Wiki article about Start 2011:
http://www.archicadwiki.com/StartEdition2011

It CAN open PLNs - but only those created in 8.1 or 9. Note that Start can not do anything involving complex profiles, nor can it do slanted walls, columns or beams. It does not include either LW or sketch rendering. Depending on your work, the missing 'advanced' features may cause pain: no hotlinks, no external drawings, no xrefs, no publisher. No teamwork or reviewer (redlining). Don't know if any 3rd party add-ons work.

It looks like you're on 12 now, Lennox - I'd just stay there...

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
JaredBanks
Mentor
Karl,

Well said. It's also worth noting that for the same cost of start 2011, someone with a v12 license could upgrade to version 15. And without looking my guess is that the system requirements of start 2011 are greater than v12.

Might as well stay on v12 and get better at that until you're ready for a big jump and a new machine!

For what it's worth I lived with v11 for 3+ years and continued to squeeze efficiencies and improvements out of it the whole time.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks guys.

To upgrade from AC12 to 15 in UK is approx £1800.
To buy a new Strat edition seat is £1200

As a sole practioner, doing small projects, I dont need quite a few of the features, such as teamwork rarely use HLM. And dont use lightworks.
Loss of publisher would be a pain , but one I could workaround.

I probably wont downgrade, but I think it would be great if GS made Start edition fully compatible with Archicad , from version 8 to 14, in the same way that LT is compatible with Autocad
Learn and get certified!