BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Mouse

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I have started out with archicad and am using my trackpad on my macbook, but would like to try a mouse. Is there any particular mouse that is recommended, and is there anyone that just uses their trackpad and is happy with that?
11 REPLIES 11
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I use a trackpad more than the mouse, although I do switch back and forth. I am on an iMac though, so my trackpad is a little bigger than on a macbook.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanx Stephen, Is it just a standard Mac mouse you use? and is there any tips in getting the trackpad to work more effectively?
DGSketcher
Legend
I have the iMac trackpad but much prefer using my (wireless!) Apple Magic Mouse which replaced my Logitech mouse which was unstable in AC.

Click and drag is a pain on a trackpad.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I also use the magic mouse when not using the trackpad. When using the trackpad I always have my settings set for "tap to click". I think that makes it much easier to use.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have always used LogicTech mice as I like the feel and lots of buttons and options.

I usually have a button programmed for Return which covers all of the OK
messages you have to deal with, a button to toggle between the arrow tool and last used drawing too and some other things. That with shortcuts on all of my FKeys seems to work well for me.

But in my old age, carpel tunnel has crept in so now I have switched to a Evoluent vertical mouse. Works wonders for your hand and wrist, but it takes a little getting used to-but it is a mouse I would highly recommend if you ever felt you need one.

Don
Anonymous
Not applicable
Don wrote:
I have always used LogicTech mice as I like the feel and lots of buttons and options.

I usually have a button programmed for Return which covers all of the OK
messages you have to deal with, a button to toggle between the arrow tool and last used drawing too and some other things. That with shortcuts on all of my FKeys seems to work well for me.

But in my old age, carpel tunnel has crept in so now I have switched to a Evoluent vertical mouse. Works wonders for your hand and wrist, but it takes a little getting used to-but it is a mouse I would highly recommend if you ever felt you need one.

Don
Hi Don

I am intrigued by this vertical mouse. I have been using the Magic Mouse that came with my iMac for the last 3 years or so, and really like how it works, but am starting to get a bit of pain in my finger joints on my right hand. I wonder if the vertical mouse might help. But a few questions:
Does it take up a lot of real estate on your desk? Is it o.k. moving the cursor from one corner of your screen to the other or is it annoying picking it up if you have to? They say on their website that a single AA battery lasts up to 3 months - my MM has 2xAA's which are lucky to get me through six weeks - are these claims true? I like the "2-fingered left-swipe" I have set on my MM to go back in my Internet browser - can you set up functions like that? Do you have the Bluetooth version?

Your advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Stuart:

I have the Vertical Mouse 4 (small- which is not that small) corded. At the time, I think they only had corded versions. It is a conventional mouse in that there are no swipe functions, but there are plenty of buttons. I use Steermouse software, which I like a lot, to program all the buttons
in different ways for different programs.

I have a 27" iMac (with a second monitor) and it takes very little of "picking up" the mouse to go from on corner to another, but that is a function of how fast you program the mouse too. It is not really designed to pick up like a normal mouse, rather you just tilt the mouse so the laser tracker is not tracking and slide the mouse. People have complained about this, but they explain the technique clearly on the website. Once you get used to it, it becomes second nature.

I used to use my finger tips for accurate and small movements on my old mouse and that probably contributed to my carpal tunnel. You can't really do that on the vertical and that takes a bit to get used to.

I don't know about programming it to get back to the internet as I have never tried it. Sounds like a good idea tho'.

If you want you can call me anytime,

Don
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the feedback, Don. I'm using a standard scroll-wheel mouse at the moment, just to see if that helps, but I will definitely consider the vertical mouse if the boss is willing to stump up the cash.

Cheers
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Stuart:

One thing that also helped a lot was I attached a paddle shaped armrest to my desk top. Made a world of difference,

Don
Learn and get certified!