BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Multi-processing in Archicad 16 & 17 - Myth or Reality?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello and Greetings.

I am a system integrator that makes cad systems for Engineers and Architects that use Archicad and CAD software packages. One of my client uses Archicad. He bought a Amd Opteron 24 Core / 40GB memory system for his business. He has called me since to figure out why other multi-core supported software works faster than Archicad. After checking all the windows settings and running all benchmarks, we found out that although there are 24 cores, Archicad only uses 1 core at a time during the rendering process. During any design process the system does not lag or stutter.
See attached photograph.
I would like to know if there is a way to have ArchiCAD use all 24 cores during rendering?
9 REPLIES 9
Karl Ottenstein
HSaye wrote:
I would like to know if there is a way to have ArchiCAD use all 24 cores during rendering?
There are posts (usually by Dwight) addressing the settings needed for multicore use of Lightworks in ArchiCAD. As I recall, one must not select 'best' for antialiasing/etc. I haven't rendered within AC itself for years, so can't remember for sure.

If your client really wants zippy renderings that use all 24 cores, he/she should look at Artlantis. You can download a 30 day trial from artlantis.com to evaluate. It interfaces well with ArchiCAD, is easier/faster to use than attempting to set up a render within ArchiCAD, and gives better quality in less time.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello. Thank you for your advise on Artlantis. It turns out it gives superior quality and uses all 24 cores.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Just out of curiousity: does Lightworks Rendering use all 24 cores if you set Antialiasing a notch below Best in the PhotoRendering Settings Dialog?
Maybe you could attach a screenshot?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

Lightworks engine with best antialiasing setting uses 1/24 core at a time. See original post. However, Artlantis uses all 24/24 cores at the same time.

I also noticed that Lightworks/Archicad never runs at the full speed of the processor 2600 Mhz.

I found out that there is a maxwell plugin for archicad. I am going to give that a try and see how it relates to Artlantis and Lumion.

Respectfully.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Compare to Artlantis that runs 24/24 cores at 2600Mhz.
Artlantis 5 demo rendering using 24 cores.jpg
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
What I said is set the Antialiasing to ONE NOTCH BELOW Best.
So it should be in the second poistion from right, not the rightmost position.
Many reports have been made by ArchiTalkers about this limitation that with the Best setting for Antialiasing Lightworks only uses one core.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello again,
I appreciate your response.

I have tried the settings as you requested and I could not make Archicad software to use all cores at full speed during a rendering process. The test file I am using is not that large, 244K polygons.

At the settings shown below, I only saw that the cpu usage jump 49%, one time. This occurred for 2 seconds and it returned to less than 18%.

I am convinced at this time, that the Multiprocessing claim by Graphisoft may be one of those product claims like AMD saying an 2500mhz performs like a 3200mhz processor. I am not saying that anything negative about Graphisoft or their marketing team. I am simply trying to understand exactly when and where the multiprocessing kicks-into-gear. With a system that has 24 cores and 40gb ecc memory; the high expectation is that a product that claims multiprocessing should use all the available resources, not 13% average.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I have found two related articles for you to read, I hope these will shed some more light on this situation:

http://www.archicadwiki.com/Multiprocessing

http://www.archicadwiki.com/LightWorks
Karl Ottenstein
laszlonagy wrote:
I have found two related articles for you to read, I hope these will shed some more light on this situation:
Something is amiss, at least with 17. Didn't try going back to old versions to test where this changed. I used to be able to get LW to use all 8 cores during the rendering phase and cannot do so now. Tried all kinds of parameters besides turning off realistic sun and setting antialisasing lower than 'best'.

Wonder if someone else can verify, as we shouldn't put the burden of finding a potential bug on HSaye, who is only supporting his client and not an AC user....
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!