Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Multiple instances crash, I'm only prompted to recover ONE file (v24)

matjashka
Enthusiast
I always work with multiple instances/sessions of ArchiCAD running on my Mac (almost always Teamwork). Sometimes they all crash at once.
ArchiCAD used to display autosave recovery prompt for every remaining project that could be recovered upon re-open.

ArchiCAD 24 only presents the recovery option once, so I can only recover 1 project. When I open another instance to open another crashed project, it opens with last-saved state without any recovery attempt. By that time, the autosave files are but wiped out. Moreover, it appears to me that in v24 this recovery dialog box is ONLY shown if no other sessions are running. So, if I have one session running after another one crashed, I don't get the option to recover the other session (?).

I wrote to support asking to bring back the way it used to work, but their reply was basically that this feature is non-essential and that each time I can go dig into the temp file folders to see if there's anything I can recover from

How are you handling this problem? How can I review autosave files from within ArchiCAD at any given time and open them for editing?
Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
BHMS Architects and Planners, Chicago
AC 10 ... 26 USA
13 REPLIES 13
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Eduardo,

I tried with Cmd + O (also Ctrl + O), and realized that the recovery dialog above only appears if I start a new file (so File > New, or Ctrl (Cmd) + N). Opening a file won't bring this recovery dialog. Nevertheless, even if I deliberately open a previously crashed file, the recovery is still available in the Startup Dialog after saving and closing the file.

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Eduardo Rolon
Yep, that is what drives me bonkers, it should be available for both.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Eduardo,

Thank you for the confirmation!
I have started an investigation to see why we no longer have a recovery option when we open a file. Once we receive an answer I will let you know!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
ejrolon wrote:
Yep, that is what drives me bonkers, it should be available for both.
Hi Eduardo,

After some discussion, we believe this is a bug. The original intention was to have the old recovery dialog opened if the Starter dialog does not start. So same as File > New > Launch a new instance of Archicad, the same behavior should be applied to Open action.

Thus, I have entered it as defect DEF-6206.
Feel free to let me know if you have any further questions!
Thank you once again for the report. Have a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Learn and get certified!