Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Need advice on which printer to buy

Anonymous
Not applicable
AC Talkers
Our Epson 3000 has worn out it's welcome. It has been a workhorse, touchy paper feed, for a while, real problems with it's drivers during the ransition to OSX. With that said, it is still a usable printer. Anyone interested in buying it? It has an ethernet card and will print to 17" x 22" (C size) paper. We have a complete set (4) of ink cartriges (about $50 dollars each). E-mail me direct if you are interested.

herriges@centurytel.net

We are looking at either an Epson Stylus Pro 7800 or a HP Designjet 500. The Epson lists for about $3,000.00 but is ready to use on a Mac network (Firewire or USB). Epson seems to be more reliable when it comes to Macs. Do you agree?

HP lists for about $2,100.00 but by the time you get it to talk to our network it's price will likely be near the Epson.

The Epson is an 8 color ink system while the HP is only 4, but the way we are thinking, the 4 colors are more then enough and don't really see the need for Epsons 8 colors.

I would appreciate any thoughts that you have as to helping us make a wise descision.

Thanks in advance
10 REPLIES 10
Petros Ioannou
Contributor
I'd like to add my experience with HP.
Although I am very satisfied with my 17'' HP laptop and all my HP small format printers and officejets machines, I had a really bad experience with a HP 500ps. Back then we were using a Mac and AC 6.5 and after wasting many sc.meters of paper trying to get a decent, print we asked from the local GS distributor to give us a PC installation disk of ArchiCAD 6.5 in order to connect the 500PS to a PC and print using Plotmaker. This worked ok but we felt deceived as we wasted more money for the ps-Mac version! As I can recall there were no available Mac drivers back then and HP sold this plotter as a Mac compatible.
As for the quality of plotting (at least on a PC) it all comes to settings,quality of paper etc. Also I think that one needs to add a memory card to improve performance.

Petros
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB