Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.
SOLVED!

New Apple hardware purchase (March 2020) - please advise?

matjashka
Enthusiast
We're running ArchiCAD 22 on aging iMacs. Need an upgrade asap.

I would like to run 22 (and future versions) on a Mac Mini (16GB,1TB,6-core i5) but I'm concerned with their lack of dedicated GPU - does anybody have actual experience with how this affects ArchiCAD? Does GPU affect rendering at all, or is it all CPU-based?

The other option is one of the 27" iMacs with the "5K" screen. How is your ArchiCAD experience with those? They seem overpriced and I know from experience that they're a major pain to fix when something breaks.
Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
BHMS Architects and Planners, Chicago
AC 10 ... 26 USA
14 REPLIES 14
Nader Belal
Mentor
@ matjashka
If you like the iMAC as an OS, Linus Tech Tips on Youtube have a video on how to run a MacOS on Any PC

And if you want to access two OS one PC

PS:
1. Microsoft Windows is adopting Linux, for the time being
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
matjashka
Enthusiast
As an architectural firm, we do not have any incentive to take risks of tinkering with hackintoshes, not to mention that Apple EULAs are clear that they want you to run MacOS on metal branded with their own logo.
Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
AC 10 ... 26 USA
Nader Belal
Mentor
@matjashka

You're position is understandable.
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
matjashka
Enthusiast
Lingwisyer wrote:
Buy a Mac Pro, though that is double the price at best...

I just wanted to mention that we will most likely end up with new iMacs, and thank you all for your input.

Before I let this thread die, here's a video I just stumbled upon today. It's a quite brutal review of the new Mac Pro, but nothing they say is unexpected - the computer is only as good as the software it runs.

Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
AC 10 ... 26 USA
Anonymous
Not applicable
Excellent thread.!!!
vfx studios in Mumbai