BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

New Comp Quad Core Intel Xeon E5430 (2.66ghz)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

If anybody could check if this Comp. spec will be adequate for our needs.

Dell Precision T5400-Quad Core Intel Xeon E5430 (2.66ghz)
- Integrated 12mb L2 Cache, 1333Mhz
- 4GB 667Mhz, ECC Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM Memory
- 512 MB PCIe x16 NIVIDIA QUADRO FX1700, Dual Monitor DVI Cable
- 250 GB Sata HDD
- Intel E5400 Chipset
- Integrated Broadcom 5754 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
- Windows XP SP2
- Dell 22inch Widescreen Flatpanel LCD Monitor

I'm so excited that my boss is finally agreeing to buy us faster computers. )Im currently running Pentium4 CPU 3.0 ghz , 1GBRam, RaedonX300/550.

We are a medium architectural firm using Archicad, Artlantis, Photoshop. I was trying to use Cinema4D but it was crashing and so slow rendering.

Do you think we should ask Dell to overclock the 2.66ghz to 3.0ghz? will this make any difference?

Any advice please.

thanx
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup

That should just about do it!

PS Dont think that any any of the big manufacturers will overclock the CPU.

Check out info at http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/t79266.html
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanx for quick reply.

I hope this computer is not too expensive...we still waiting for Dells revised price as they gave us a wrong price. $3k
Anonymous
Not applicable
I just got a quad core (Dell) however I was just told by a colleague that AC11 only uses one core! Does anybody know if this is correct?

The same colleague told me that AC12 will use more than one core.

I find the new machine not much faster than my old AMD4000.

Thanks,
Anonymous
Not applicable
Graeme wrote:
I just got a quad core (Dell) however I was just told by a colleague that AC11 only uses one core! Does anybody know if this is correct?
Currently ArchiCAD 11 only uses one core for most activities. When rendering, Lightworks will make use of as many cores as you have on the machine, provided you have sufficient RAM. Multiple cores also means you can have several sessions of AC open at one time without slowdown.

See here for further info - http://www.archicadwiki.com/Multiprocessing
The same colleague told me that AC12 will use more than one core.
Unless he knows something the rest of us don't, I doubt it! The trouble is how do you split up ArchiCAD into usable chunks that could be run simultaneously on separate cores? It will take a major fundamental re-write of the code to do this efficiently and usefully. I don't believe we will see a colossal change in AC12, but I would be delighted to be proven wrong! (fingers crossed!)
I find the new machine not much faster than my old AMD4000.
Probably isn't, unless you do lots of things at once, or heavy rendering/flythroughs!

Don't forget programs like Photoshop and Artlantis will make use of multicores though, so don't feel too bad about it!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't forget, WindowXP 32bit can support max. 3GB ram.
If you have 64bit, than it can makes problem with some Adobe Products like AdobeGolive.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the comments. The 4 cores do seem to allow more things to happen simultaneously with less crashes which is positive.
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!