Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

New Computer requirements

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone
I am about to to buy new computer, so I am wondering what should get.

What my firm does the most is architectural drawings and not so much rendering, but there are moments when i need to do some quick renderings.

CPU single or dual processor?
Ram 1, 2 or 4 GB
Video Card

Current Computer

Pentium 4 2.4GHz
1GB of RAM
Radeon 9500 Pro 128 MB
I found it to slow doing 3d views (on medium file size i have to remove texture to view it properlly)

Please let me know

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Are you viewing the 3D image using the OpenGL engine?

Your current computer specs are close to mine and I work in 3D fine. What is your PLN size?
Djordje
Ace
dmoraca wrote:
Hello everyone

What my firm does the most is architectural drawings and not so much rendering, but there are moments when i need to do some quick renderings.
Either you don't use OpenGL or something else is seriously wrong.

Whether you do only construction documents or also renderings does not matter; you have to work on the model anyway.

It might be a "simple" question of drivers, as the machine specs are OK.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
well the project is not done yet and it is 25mb
and yes i am using open GL
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, my project sizes range between 9 MB and 15 MB.

Maybe the Difference..... We do mostly residential 2500 Sq. Ft. to 5000 Sq. Ft.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well this project is 10 story 92 units apartment building.

and there is a LOT OF DETAIL

Thanks

Dragan

#1 computer recomendations
TomWaltz
Participant
dmoraca wrote:
Hello everyone

CPU single or dual processor?
Ram 1, 2 or 4 GB
Video Card

Current Computer

Pentium 4 2.4GHz
1GB of RAM
Radeon 9500 Pro 128 MB
I found it to slow doing 3d views (on medium file size i have to remove texture to view it properlly)
File size is not indicative of polygon count, which is what mostly affects 3D window performance. You can have a ton of linework to make up a 100+ MB file, just like you can have a ton of 3D objects in a 10 MB file.

In general, the most hardware you can afford if the best. If 3D window performance it important, than the video card is your target, since OpenGL runs off the video card.

Section and elevation rebuilds run off the processor, but Archicad does not use multiple processors. The Lightworks rendering engine does, and having multiple processors will allow you to multi-task better, either through multiple Archicad sessions or if running Word, Excel, etc.

Archicad also has a maximum addressable RAM (2 GB, maybe?). Again, if you buy more, it means that more applications can run more easily at one time.

The biggest question is how much do you want to spend. Once you know that, then you can start comparing specs.
Tom Waltz
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
If you are not doing any/much rendering, i would stick with what you already have, but upgrade your graphics card to improve your 3D window performance.
The one that you have is now 2 generations old, and was a bit clunky when it first came out anyway.
I would go for something from at least the GeForce 6xxx range, or a 7xxx if possible.

I have a GeForce 6600GT which cost about NZ$200 and it doesn't even blink regardless of what i throw at it. It's only a P4-2.6-HT, with a gig of RAM, and i usually run photoshop at the same time, occasionally Battle for Middle-Earth II(educational software), and a media player accessing and indexing about 60Gb worth of MP3s. With this setup i have never seen the 3D or 2D window stutter even momentarily.
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I just found out that my motherboard does NOT support PCI Express video card. So I can not upgrade my video card to GeForce 7600.

That is bummer.

Alternative option is to go for
Sapphire Radeon X1600 PRO / 512MB DDR2

What is your opinion

Thank you
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
The X1600 will be more than enough for you(it will be good for games too!) i would think. You will have more RAM on your video card than most people have in their whole system.
That said, see if you can get one on a trial, or check that there is a return policy. Most places will give you a week i think. Be sure to try out the test file in the Compatability page.
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200