BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

New Dell 15" computer

Anonymous
Not applicable
By the way I am thinking of buying the new 15" dell eps. Could you please post some comments about working and rendering with it.

Thank you
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
darwinland wrote:
By the way I am thinking of buying the new 15" dell eps. Could you please post some comments about working and rendering with it.
You will need to ask this question in the "Hardware" section.
I am very happy with my Dell laptop and have had no problems - but I don't use it a lot - just when I need to be mobile.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thx
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I have split this discussion from the other topic and moved it to the Hardware forum. You can discuss it here.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
alemanda
Advocate
I currently use DELL XPS 9560 with Archicad and other software. I'm very happy about it. I believe that the quality of components is top.
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
Anonymous
Not applicable
They have just released the new xps 15" with the new Raedon integrated 4g and ore i7 8th generation, and top 16gb ram welded.
I asume that if it is welded RAM I can't update to 32 in the future.

My question is what is worthy to buy the new eps with i7 8 th generation 16 gb never upgraded, or may be the old i7 7th generation with Nvidia 4g gtx and 32GB ram. I usually draw with large patterns in the drawings and when selecting items the computer freezes. I also use illustrator and also working with patterns I also have problems, when trying to fill in with a pattern the computer freezes. Is this a matter of RAM.

Advises welcome
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
16 GB is pretty bare minimum these buying a new computer, I would say.

Intricate hatch patterns I would guess has more to do with GPU and CPU than RAM.

Personally use colour more (or shades of grey) to shade things for clarification. Dot patterns especially make for heavy PDF files and can cause slowdown.

Though most slowdown typically involves trace & reference.

I used http://www.notebook.net in the past to look for my laptop options. I ended up buying a cheap 'crap'-top (with GPU and i7 and 8GB ram, so it is still passably usable) after weighing pros and cons from reviews there.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your answers,

And when you have lag selecting an item. What is its cause, poor cpu, gpu or lack of RAM...

Regards
Learn and get certified!