BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

New Rig - Workstation vs iMac pro vs waiting for Mac Pro 2019

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

I'm currently working on a Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 3,33Ghz -6 cores - GTX 680 2048MB - 8GB RAM
It served me 8 years very well, but I'm currently working on a bigger project (different PLN's open at same time) and I'm having issues with performance. Bottleneck will be the 8GB RAM I guess, but I'm looking to invest in a new rig because I already had to replace the GPU with a chipped card and after 8 years you maybe just want something new .

I'm working with Archicad 22. I've a iMac 27 (late 2015) at home for the evenings/weekends.

I'm deciding between a iMac Pro (8 core version) or a Windows Workstation (HP Z4 f.e.) and external monitor.

I'm considering windows because you get more power for dollars (euro's), but on the other hand I'm very used to osX and have a iMac at home. Switching between PC and Mac is possible, but other shortcuts (CTRL-CMD) is also something to keep in mind.

What do you guys think?
14 REPLIES 14
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Do you still have easy access to RAM or do you need to lift off the glass cover etc to do this?
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Erwin wrote:
Do you still have easy access to RAM or do you need to lift off the glass cover etc to do this?
The 27" 2017 & 2019 iMacs have an accessible door on the back of the machine just under the base connection. It is very easy to open and add RAM as it was designed for user customization. From what I understand you canNOT do this with the iMac Pro nor the 21" iMacs.

It really is this easy!
(P.S. This is not my video. I wouldn't do a "how to" video with my shirt off, LOL!)

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
That's great that they went back to this setup.

Thanks for that information!
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Stress Co_
Advisor
Rex wrote:
Stress wrote:
In case you missed it. New iMacs are out.
Some tips if you get a 2019 iMac:
1) do NOT buy extra RAM from Apple. You can buy quality third party RAM and install it yourself very easily for 1/3 of the cost. If you buy 32GB online for $200 at most, you can install it and wind up with 40GB RAM.
2) Get an SSD inside, and NOT a Fusion drive.
3) As for the CPU and GPU, that's up to you, but I went for it. When you're spending $3K plus for a machine, what's a few hundred dollars more for the fastest CPU and GPU?
I'd add to that with:
If going for a faster configuration, in some cases, it's better to "Upgrade" from a higher base configuration.
For example:

A 3.1GHz 6-core i5 upgraded to a 3.6GHz 8-core i9 (w/1 TB SSD) runs $2,999

A 3.7GHz 6-core i5 upgraded to a 3.6Ghz 8-core i9 (w/ 1TB SSD) runs the same $2,999

BUT you get a a Radeon Pro 580X w/ 8GB memory, instead of the Radeon Pro 575X w/ 4 GB memory

With what I saved buying the iMac over the iMac Pro, I was able to get a second 4K monitor (and then some).

Check the refurbished listings as well. Only caveat is the current models may not show up yet
and they don't ship with extended keyboards.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Stress wrote:
Check the refurbished listings as well. Only caveat is the current models may not show up yet and they don't ship with extended keyboards.
I tend to use my machines well past their "expiration dates." I'll order a new Mac, so my previous machine becomes my backup or mobile machine, as is the case with a laptop. But what has been biting me lately is my older Mac not being supported in running the latest OS and therefore not running the latest ArchiCAD. So I like to wait until a refresh from Apple occurs, (as it did in March with their iMacs), and then purchase one so I have the maximum shelf life with its specs, as they relate to running the latest OS or softwares in the future.

Other than that I like the idea of refurbished machines from Apple and do recommend them to friends and family not needing the same requirements as me in the long run.
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
Learn and get certified!