Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

New and keen

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Folks,
I'm new to ArchiCAD and would appreciate some advise.

My first project is to make a site plan for a vacant parcel.
I have the surveyors boundary survey and the topography (the points file and the AutoCAD contour plan).
I want to start by getting this info into ArchiCAD and obtaining a 3D view of the land.
Then I propose doing a site plan that will conform to various zoning regulations.

How would you suggest I go about this task.
I have lots to learn but presently I just want to get an outline plan of the correct approach.

Thanks in advance.

Rog
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
try this

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=14819

http://www.archicad.ca/index.php?paged=2

http://www.archicad.ca/?p=12

but anyway for creating roads..etc... i prefer te way discribed in link rather than in PDF
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your helpfull links.
Will try the various strategies.

How do I create a mesh from the AutoCAD contour polylines?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rog wrote:

ok..
u know now how to have a DWG as an external drawing..get the file..

trace the lines with magic wand... " select line tool ... Space bar and click.. on each one"

then read the links.. "PDF file" and u will be on the right track
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks again.
Now I have lots to do.

Will keep you posted on my progress / failures

Anonymous
Not applicable
whatever wrote:
Rog wrote:

ok..
u know now how to have a DWG as an external drawing..get the file..

trace the lines with magic wand... " select line tool ... Space bar and click.. on each one"

then read the links.. "PDF file" and u will be on the right track
Watch out for those DWGs though. Sometimes they will generate VERY complex meshes. It's often easier to trace over the contours with splines to give better control of the magic wand settings.
Dwight
Newcomer
And, sometimes, for gigantic sites where conserving polygons is important, it is easier to use the DWG for its outline only, placing a grid adapted to slope over the remainder of the site with only a few nodes extrapolated from complex contours.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear Rog..u've just have tips from 2 of the most advanced users!! lucky u!!

i wish i was a good archicad-talker when i started...8 years ago!! and had the chance to get tips from ArchiCAD masters !!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks again for all the helpfull hints.
I am still getting familiar with the AC11 editing techiques and understanding the concepts related to project map, view map and layout book.
I will get to the contours / site plan in a few days.

Question:
2D Drafting - floor slab - rectangular geometry
While drawing that particular element the tracker pops up showing dim1 and dim2 of the slab.
After the slab is drawn and you switch to the Arrow Tool is there anyway to see/edit those dimensions.
I have tried the various editing techniques of offset edge, offset all edges , resize etc. Those techniques do change the size of the slab but the change is expressed as a % of the original or shows how much you are changing by.
I would like to see the original dimensions of the slab and be able to make specific numeric changes.

Can the Element Information Pop-up (Info Tags) be customized for this purpose?
Can the Element Information Pop-up (Info Tags) be customized at all?

Dwight
Newcomer
While the slab dimensions aren't DIRECTLY viewable, there are a number of things to do, but this is not the Archicad way. Sort of like my memory of when Susan Orleans tries to interview Matthew Oceola in "Adaptation" and he says "it is not the Indian way."

Make a temporary origin at the lower left corner of the slab. Move the cursor to the upper right: the coordinate box shows the slab size.

Resizing a slab to a specific dimension is easy, so you need not waste time reviewing its present size, merely make it to the new size. Once again, this means placing a temporary origin on a node and stretching sides of the slab a specific dimension relative to this node. The tracker will show the distance - you can enter it by keyboard. See attached - excuse my outrageous cursor.
Dwight Atkinson