Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

New computer with RTX graphic card

KeesW
Advocate
My computer is10 years old and I would like to replace it with something that uses an RTX graphics card for Enscape and Twinmotion (perhaps?}. These cards seem focussed on gaming. Will they perform well for the more standard Archicad functions such as documentation and MS Office sofware? Does an RTX fuction compromise these more standard computer uses? How do these cards compare with Quadro cards for Archicad? I have a very good Dell 27" screen which is still OK.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
9 REPLIES 9
Lingwisyer
Guru
I do not recall any mention of ArchiCAD being optimised for Quadro cards, unlike most Adobe and AutoDesk programs... Enscape and Twinmotion are though. You might be able to get the same benefit using the studio drivers on an RTX card.

Future updates to Twinmotion might be able to utilise the RTX cores in the near future, as UE5 does. Enscape, Lumion, etc doing so would also not be a surprise.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Barry Kelly
I have next to no idea what is what when it comes to computer hardware.
So I have no idea what an RTX video card is or does differently to any other video card.

But something I want to point out, as I would hate to see you potentially waste a lot of money on a video card if you think the following may be important to you.

It is no secret that Archicad will be making use of Maxon Redshift in a future update (it was announced in the Australian webinar for the release of 25).
So, similar to what we now have with Cenerender - except we will also have Redshift (uses the same Cinerender materials and render settings as far as I know - just a different renderer).
I can't tell you any more than that about it, except that it will only work with what I assume are fairly high end graphics cards.
You may want to have a look at the minimum and recomended requirements for gragphics card on the Maxon website.
This may influence your purchase if you think you may want to use this built-in renderer in Archicad.
If you don't use Cinerender now, you probably won't use Redshift, so it shouldn't affect your decision.

https://www.maxon.net/en/requirements/redshift-requirements

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
furtonb
Advisor
It is no secret that Archicad will be making use of Maxon Redshift in a future update (it was announced in the Australian webinar for the release of 25).

Do you have a link to this webinar? I'm curious about it.

I really hope it's not only the change of renderer, but the ability will also come to export very basic render passes for compositing purposes (I would be extremely happy just to have a material ID pass...). Maybe as layered .tiff images? I recall an ancient wish about this...

odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64

@furtonb wrote:

Do you have a link to this webinar? I'm curious about it.

That would depend if you are a Central Innovation Select customer.

If you are, log into their MyCI client portal and you will find the video in the Select Benefits > Videos section.

If you are not a select customer, you won't have access to this video unfortunately.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Nope, I'm located in Europe.

odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64

It really didn't say anything much.

Just that Redshift was coming to 25 in a future update, and that Redshift uses the GPU rather than the CPU.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
KeesW
Advocate

I have received my new computer and thought to connect it to my existing 27" screen - but couldn't. The reason is that my existing sreen has DVI port to connect to the old computer which also has a DVI port. Unfortunately, the new computer does not have a DVI and uses an HDMI to connect to a screen. I bought a new cable with DVI one end, HDMI on the other but it didn't work. So, I have now ordered, and am awaiting delivery, of a new 27" screen, 

I am telling this to forewarn others of possible obstacles to connecting a new computer to an old screen.

Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU

DVI has different type of connectors. 

You could try just using a HDMI adapter on your DVI cable. I believe it has something to do with the signal (HDCP) which isn't always carried properly through a HDMI cable.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Lingwisyer
Guru

Does your new GPU not have Display Port (higher bandwidth)? A more squared socket, or square if it's the mini variant. I have had no issue with connecting a multitude of monitors via DP/DVI. You just have to make sure you are using Dual Link cables for monitors over 1200p. Also, NVIDIA Bizlink cables are useless. In my opinion HDMI ports on GPUs are only there for you to plug in a TV, or you run out of splitters...

When you say it did not work, what happened? Black screen? Flickers? Weird colours?

Ling.

ps. I just saw that the HDMI-DVI and DP-DVI cables on PCCG only support upto 1080p even though they use a Dual Link DVI connector. So even less reason to use a cable over an adapter...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660