Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

New iMac

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi:

The new iMacs finally came out and while a not a huge upgrade it's
time to get a new one.

I plan to get the 27"5k with:

-4.0ghz i7 +$250.00
-Add my own memory ?
-AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4gig video +$250.00

-3tb Fusion +$100.00
OR 512 GB SSD +$200.00

The 1TB SSD is too expensive for me: +700.00

For how ArchiCad works, I really don't know if the Fusion drive is ok, or is the 512 SSD that much better. If I go with the 512GB SSD I would need an external drive which is ok I guess, but since I take it client meetings a lot it would be one more thing to fuss with.

I do mostly custom residential and small commercial. And how much ram to I really need.

thanks!

Don
20 REPLIES 20
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
I would go with the 512 GB SSD and an external drive for older files etc. I just updated my old (2011) MacBook Pro to a 512 GB SSD and I notice a big difference.

I read somewhere that the new Fusion drives on these iMacs have smaller SSD capacity than they used to.

Cheers,
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I agree with Gerald on the 512 GB SSD + external HDD.
Also, I would add my own RAM to make it 32 GB. That should be plenty for the next several years. (Maybe 16 GB would also be enough but I don't like to be cheap on amount of RAM as that makes the biggest difference if you run out of it).
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
One other thing about the RAM. According to this article
http://9to5mac.com/2015/10/14/new-27-inch-imac-maximum-ram/
you can get 64 GB of RAM into the 27 inch iMac and Apple will only put in 32 GB. I remember when I got my MacBook Pro that you could only get 8GB installed from Apple but it actually supported 16 GB which I did on my own.

32GB might be all you need but Apple usually charges a premium for RAM so it might pay to order the minimum and upgrade yourself.

Cheers,
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Gerald and Laszlo:

Thanks for the information! Gerald, I do remember seeing that the ssd had been lowered for the Fusion drives-I have no idea why.

Laszlo and Gerald I think I will as you suggest go with the 512 GB SSD with 32 GB of aftermarket ram. With a 512 drive I can certainly have the client files I need without dragging along another HD.

Now all I need to do, round up my loose change………..

Don
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would also be interested in other peoples experiences with iMacs.
Good and bad!

thanks,

Don
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I have a late 09 iMac and have loved it from the start.
The good: Works great in Archicad and still has plenty of horsepower.
The bad: Not upgradeable. Even though my processor is more than adequate, my video card is not. I will need a new computer soon based on v19 and beyond. (Although 6 years for a computer is not bad).
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Karl Barker
Participant
I have been managing the IT network and been the primary protagonist for maintaining a solid BIM process within our office for the lat 15 years.
We have ranged in size from 8 architects up to our current 15 architects over that time.
For that period we have used a multitude of mac products from the early power macs in 2000, the first iMac, eMac, aluminium cased powermac and for the last few years, since the advent of the 17" white iMac, we have only use iMacs.
Generally specced with 80% upgrade of ram, second best graphics card.
In all that time we only lost 3 machines to 'mechanical failure'.
We are also often taking on staff from a PC background and generally they have all been happy with the general performance of the iMac machines.
Some admittedly are now 4 years old and due for replacement. Especially the 512GB graphics card machines.
monitoring the machines performance, it is typical that machines are not running our of ram as they all typically have 16 to 20 GB each.

I have noticed a marked improvement going to fusion drives of late, but have held back on the retina displays.
Cheers,
Karl Barker.

27" iMac 3.6 Ghz Intel Core i9
32 Gig Ram
Mac OSX 10.14.6
AC 5.5 - AC22 (NZE)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Karl:

Thanks for the information! So do you think 24 GB ram should be
enough? Need to save wherever I can,

thanks,

Don
shtarkel
Participant
Go with SSD and 24 GB RAM You will see the difference and it will serve you well the next 5 years