Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Nvidia video card

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello - does anyone have experience or info regarding AC16 (or any AC) running through an Nvidia Quadro K5000 for Mac? Thanks, Leif
12 REPLIES 12
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Some info from GS:

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/technotes/video-cards/recommended-video-cards-for-archicad-16/#Nvid...
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Those tables are so much out of date and irelevant, that I just can not believe it, that they recommend it to even take a look.

I will just point out some things at first glance:
1. Drivers used are old and buggy
2. Graphic cards are waaaay out of date
3. Only low-range gaming gpus are compared

As of upgrading to Archicad 19, GPU tables:
1. Again old Cards with old drives
2. Comparing GTX 750 (150$) to 500$ - 1500$ Pro cards
3. The 750 is the slowest card on the market with only 2GB Vram
4. It says: "some popular gaming cards"
- I don't see them. I see old 2010 and the slowest cards on the market.
The 780Ti was popular, yes. Especially for it's amazing rendering and drawing speed. Its available for 300$ again.

Q:
1. Where are the 300$-400$ gaming cards (970, 980, 280, 290, 285, 390) ?
- Example: the 390 offers 8GB VRAM for 300$ and is 3x faster in Maya or OpenGL.
2. Where is the Fury which has blazing fast HBM memory and 4096bus and 500GB/s bandwidth, costs only 600$ (as the K2200) ?

3. Where are the Titan cards, Titan with double precision, Titan X with 12GB Vram, the 980Ti, which scores amazing 150fps in Maya 2013 in specviewperf.
- Recently checked other OpenGL software and software using RT render engines, they all recommend gaming cards from 300$- 1000$ and Tesla cards. Actually none of them recommeng quadro or firepro cards.

The only thing where they recommend those cards are Catia, Creo and Siemens NX. Even solidworks is faster on a 290 (250$) with realhack than a firepro card for 800$.

4. Also we are moving to the FREE Windows 10 (in two weeks) upgrade and there isn't a single test for that either.

Those tables are just wrong on so many levels. I've come here to ask for real relevant comparisons and all you get is this.

This post is no offence in any way, its more of a positive criticism.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You are right, that page is a "bit" outdated.
I will call this to the attention of the guys at GS HQ.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
The link posted is for ArchiCAD 16. This is the link for ArchiCAD 19:
http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/technotes/video-cards/recommended-video-cards-for-archicad-19/
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
Anonymous
Not applicable
My points remain the same.

People are interested in NEW 300-800€ gaming cards performance in windows 10 and how they compare to sub < 800€ PRO cards in one graph, so there is no need for biljon tables.

The cards that are listed there as popular gaming can't are not even manufactured anymore, slow, low on memory and you can not even buy them.

The newest you listed is the GTX 750, which is the slowest card on sale, the most UNpopular and more than a year old.

Even the Iris Pro integrated graphic card is not listed, which is on par with the GTX 750 in modern 3D CAD apps
Anonymous
Not applicable
http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/technotes/video-cards/recommended-video-cards-for-archicad-19/
Test Results – Windows 7 (64 bit) for (lets take one card only) K5200
Small project (250000 polygon) – FPS ratio: 0,99
Medium project (1,6M polygon) – FPS ratio: 2,91
Large project (10M polygon) – FPS ratio: 18
How does this make sense?..is not that suppose to be more polygons less frames?
Miha Nahtigal
Advocate
The ratio number shows your card's performance compared to Quadro 600.

As from your example...
Small project - K5200 is actually a bit slower than Quadro 600
Medium projects - three times faster
Large projects - eighteen times faster
Anonymous
Not applicable
Vuego Thank you for explanation...I have other questions, i am sure many will find this interesting ? Lets take two workstation cards which both have aprox 4 TFLOPS SP - AMD W8100 2.1 TFLOPS DP and -M5000 0,1344 TFLOPS Double precision capabilities of the graphic card, how much and where is DP important when working with archicad? And if we use another GPU or accelerator card as Tesla K40 along M5000 (K40 have cca 1,7TFLOPS Double precision as does Titan X black(kepler)), is Archicad going to utilise second card?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Would you have some input Mr. Laszlo Naggy?