Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

OPENGL disabled? why?

rob2218
Enthusiast
so...I have AC22, latest build, latest fix...etc..
I installed AC23 and now get this message i've never gotten BEFORE the AC23 install?

Why? What does this mean and most importantly...........how do I fix it?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
10 REPLIES 10
rob2218
Enthusiast
gettin very frustrating here guys....why did something now switch in my driver settings?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Karl Ottenstein
Your signature looks dated...so just checking:

Are you really using Windows 7 vs 10? if so, why?

If you are on a Mac, are you using Parallels or some other virtualization software to run ARCHICAD? If so, what and which version and which host operating system?

And, you're saying that 22 ran without the OpenGL warning before installing 23, and now it is 22 - not 23 - that is giving you that error message?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Lingwisyer
Guru
You haven't just started to use RDP have you? OpenGL is not supported over RDP.

Regarding the wireframe, was not that part of the AC23 navigation optimisation options? I think you can turn if off as I remember it happening when I first started using AC23 but it does not happen anymore.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
The reason it's going to wireframe and then adding shading back in when you stop orbiting/panning is that you are running in Software render mode in 3D, rather than in OpenGL. Software render isn't fast enough to shade and move at the same time, so you get the wireframe view while you move, and then it adds the shading back in once you stop.

ArchiCAD 23 does require a slightly better graphics card than 22 did, so it could just be that the card you are using just doesn't support all the OpenGL extensions that ArchiCAD 23 uses. Either that, or you're using v23 over an RDP connection which, as mentioned earlier, doesn't support OpenGL.
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Rob,

Thank you for the question and I am very sorry about the issue!

Recently I had a similar case, where the issue happened because the GPU is disabled, therefore, no supported driver was found to run Archicad with.

As a first suggestion, I recommend updating your graphics card driver to the latest version (if you have more than one, for example an Intel and an Nvidia GPU, make sure to update both of them). Also, please make sure that the ARCHICAD.exe and ARCHICAD Starter.exe process are assigned to the better graphics card.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
To update Graphics Drivers in Windows 10, this article/link can help.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/4028443/windows-10-update-drivers
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
rob2218
Enthusiast
thanks about the siggy.

No..not using Windows 7, yer right...using Windows 10.
thanks.
I should update that.
Karl wrote:
Your signature looks dated...so just checking:

Are you really using Windows 7 vs 10? if so, why?

If you are on a Mac, are you using Parallels or some other virtualization software to run ARCHICAD? If so, what and which version and which host operating system?

And, you're saying that 22 ran without the OpenGL warning before installing 23, and now it is 22 - not 23 - that is giving you that error message?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
What kind of graphics card do you have?
AC22 and AC23 both require OpenGL 3.3-compatible graphic card, no difference there, but AC23 requires 2GB of video RAM:

https://graphisoft.com/support/system_requirements/AC22/
https://graphisoft.com/support/system_requirements/AC23/
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

this is still happening.

The "Open GL" at times will just stop working in AC24 and in AC25. I've contacted Dell Support numerous times, they usually update the BIOS, update drivers, update etc....and this 'seems' to temporarily fix the issue but then after a day or so....it reverts back to the dreaded spinning blue ring.....then it appears the software is trying to update it's 3d tab and that's when it gets locked up.

I'm not quite sure just what's going on here with this "open GL" error I keep getting that doesn't allow me to navigate in 3d render mode where I was navigating just fine a few months back.

i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23