Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Oce TDS 320

Bob Moore
Enthusiast
We have just purchased a Oce TDS 320 Printer/plotter and are have real problems connecting my Mac to it. Has anyone else tried this Oce? Did you have problems? We are set up through a router, when we send a drawing the router lights up and seems to connect to the plotter but nothing happens. I can ping the plotter address and get feedback, which make me think the data gets there but isn't processed. Any one have a clue?

Thanks
AC 7 - 27

iMac 27"

Mac OS Sonoma 14.0

3.1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 575X 4 GB
7 REPLIES 7
Rick Thompson
Expert
I have an Oce 9300, so maybe my experience want apply. I have been using it successfully for years, but don't remember the details of how I did what.. but it was an adventure. I know there is info posted here, so maybe you can search Oce and find something. I plot, not print. I plot via a Jetdirect box. That box has to be set right. I vaguely remember having to set the cable to centronics, or not centronics.. or something like that.. but I think I posted that stuff a while back. I plot fine via Airport. It should work fine after you figure out the right settings. Also, I use Plotflow, which helps set TPC/IP.. at least in AC11.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Bob Moore
Enthusiast
Thanks Rick,
I had done a search and saw your earlier post. I think I wil try the plotflow route and see if that works.
AC 7 - 27

iMac 27"

Mac OS Sonoma 14.0

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 575X 4 GB
Rick Thompson
Expert
Every time I have had an issue, which has involved a new setup in some way, if I can ping it, i can plot. So, since you can ping it, I have to wonder if it is not a plotter panel setting, or, if you are using a Jetdirect box, a setting there. If you are printing.. then I don't have a clue. Are you connecting via a jet direct box? The Jetdirect box is where my TCP/IP is set, not the Oce.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Bob Moore
Enthusiast
I'm not using a jet direct box. I've tried both printing and plotting in Archicad 11. I've also saved it as a pdf and tried to plot it, with no success. Is it necessary that the Oce be postscript enabled? The Oce installer said it didn't.
AC 7 - 27

iMac 27"

Mac OS Sonoma 14.0

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 575X 4 GB
Rick Thompson
Expert
My Oce 9300 does not have the print card. I did try it, but liked plotting better.. faster. My understanding is that you can not plot (or print?) to the Oce from the Mac without using the Jetdirect box to interface the two. Maybe that is the issue? It would seem your Oce dealer should know that. They are they people who set me up and said that was required. I do know you have to access the Jetdirect box to set the cable type, but my memory is vague on that.

I recently moved my office (in my home, but several floors to move) and I had to switch from ethernet to Airport. I had to change the IP address, which I have had to do before my taking the Jetdirect box to a PC to get to the menu. However, I was able to do it this time through Terminal. Someone posted that info on Architalk, and that helped. I think you need that box, but you are on a different machine (sorta, same base, just a later model, I think.. looks the same).. so???

Post what you end up doing to resolve this. I know it can be done. Oce in Atlanta did know how to work with Macs. I got mine from the dealer in Greenville NC, they know how to set them up.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Karl Barker
Participant
We have been through a huge amount of problems with Oce in regard to a TDS300 that we made them swap for a TDS400 due to poor print quality and bad drivers for mac.
My suspicion however with your printer is that it does not have a que assigned to it.
We set up our Oce as an IP printer using LDP on our OSX server.
We then shared the printer from the server via Apple-talk.
Now I realise that Apple-talk is quite an old system and not the manufacturers recommendation, but we have found it to be quicker and more reliable than using bonjour.
When you install the printer on the main server, don't forget to set the default que. We just use TDS400 for ours.
Make sure that you have the very latest drivers from Oce as we hade some print issues where for three years we had no option of chasing between standard, lines&text and poster mode.
The reason for naming the queue is that if you reinstall the drivers it does not wipe the old drivers properly and gets confused.

Good luck.
Cheers,
Karl Barker.

27" iMac 3.6 Ghz Intel Core i9
32 Gig Ram
Mac OSX 10.14.6
AC 5.5 - AC22 (NZE)
Bob Moore
Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. The OCE representative is coming in Tuesday and I hope to resolve this.
AC 7 - 27

iMac 27"

Mac OS Sonoma 14.0

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 575X 4 GB