BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

General discussions
Posts about job ads, news about competitions, events, learning resources, research, etc.

Old dog - new tricks

rm
Expert
Hi AC gurus!

I have rarely touched AC since using version 12 several years back. I knew AC 12 quite well. Just downloaded AC 20 demo and I have to admit, I have a lot to relearn.

But I noticed it seems some functions were made more "intuitive/automatic", the roof tool comes to mind. I used to love the roof tool, I am fumbling my way in it now.

I drew a few walls and try to right-click to bring up the pet palette that used to let you add a curve to it along with other modifications. I can't get the wall tool to work that way it did in AC 12 to save my life.

Now I am not complaining about AC, it looks amazingly fresh, especially the GUI. But just trying to use the online help keeps my mind spinning.

Can someone point me to the area in the manual that shows how to use pet palettes for the wall and roof tool, assuming they still exist.

Looks like I have a lot to relearn!

Thank you,

Robert Mariani
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
4 REPLIES 4
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
rm wrote:
I drew a few walls and try to right-click to bring up the pet palette that used to let you add a curve to it along with other modifications. I can't get the wall tool to work that way it did in AC 12 to save my life.
The Pet Palette behavior is the same, but it is not a right-click, simply click on the Wall to get the Pet Palette to appear. (A right-click should bring up the Context Menu.) Make sure only a single Wall is selected before clicking. This is the same in AC12 and AC20. If the Pet Palette is not appearing, then check Work Environment > User Preference Schemes > Dialog Boxes and Palettes to see how the behavior of the Pet Palette is set.

Roofs: AC20 has the Multi-Plane Roof in addition to the older Single-Plane Roof, so there have been changes to the Roof Tool you will want to learn.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You can go to ARCHICAD's youtube channel and search for playlists:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Archicad/search?query=archicad+new+features+playlist

There are new features for AC13 and later. More recent versions have more and more new features clips.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
rm
Expert
David wrote:
The Pet Palette behavior is the same, but it is not a right-click, simply click on the Wall to get the Pet Palette to appear. (A right-click should bring up the Context Menu.) Make sure only a single Wall is selected before clicking. This is the same in AC12 and AC20. If the Pet Palette is not appearing, then check Work Environment > User Preference Schemes > Dialog Boxes and Palettes to see how the behavior of the Pet Palette is set.

Roofs: AC20 has the Multi-Plane Roof in addition to the older Single-Plane Roof, so there have been changes to the Roof Tool you will want to learn.

David
Hi David,
Perfect reply, just what I was hoping to hear. Thank you!
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Jeff Kogut
Booster
Note that there are Building Materials now with priority settings how each material will interact with another type. IIRC this was introduced in 17.

18 had a redo of the Surfaces with the addtion of the Cinerender engine.
AC19-23 | Win10 Pro | i7-8700K | Quadro P600 | 500gb 960 EVO M2 | Dual 28" 4k Samsung U28E590
Learn and get certified!