Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

On-screen messages causing slowdown

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have an issue with on-screen messages causing slow navigation in ArchiCAD 22. When using Teamwork I get occasional reminders at the bottom left of my screen to send/receive. The same type of pop-up message appears when I undo. It pops up and then fades away after a few seconds.

While these messages are displayed on screen and while they're fading it's very difficult to pan/zoom and scroll through menus, etc. Everything slows down until the message has completely disappeared.

I'm working on a 5k iMac using MacOS Catalina. I checked the activity monitor and can only see a small spike in CPU usage and no change in GPU usage when this happens.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix for this or a way to disable the messages perhaps?
5 REPLIES 5
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

Thank you for sharing the issue and I am sorry about the experience!

There could be different reasons to why the message slows Archicad down. In our database, I found a workaround that can be useful in this one:

It could be that the message list grow so large, that writing the client side messages database file takes long for ARCHICAD. This means you can bring performance back by removing old messages.
You can set the following setting:

- Set a limit to automatically remove old, completed messages:
- Go to Work Environment/Data Safety and Integrity
- Enable 'Limit Number of Completed Messages' checkbox, and set its value. Around 20 would be a reasonable number.

Please let me know if this helps!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Minh,

Thanks for your help. I don't mean the Teamwork messages but the on-screen pop-up messages that appear when you undo an action or when you're reminded to send changes. Here's a screenshot to show what I mean:

I was able to reduce the frequency of the messages in the Data Safety and Integrity settings but it doesn't fully resolve the issue. I noticed that version 24 doesn't have this problem but unfortunately my company are still using version 22.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

Thank you very much for the screenshot!

Unfortunately, this is not an issue recorded in our system. To be able to identify what is causing this, could you recreate the issue a few times, while collecting the Samples Process when the message is appearing/fading? Although the slowness is very short, these samples could reveal what may happen underneath.

Furthermore, I would like to ask for some generic questions:
- Does this issue happen with any teamwork file (even if you make a new one), or with one specific file only?
- Does it happen with a brand new Solo file with the default template?
- Is AC running on the iMac display or an external display?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Minh. I've sent the samples process directly to you.

To answer your questions, the issue occurs in any Teamwork or Solo file, even a brand new one using the standard ArchiCAD template. I'm using the main iMac display and don't have any other displays connected. It's a 2019 5k iMac with an i9 3.6GHz CPU and Radeon Pro Vega 48 8GB GPU.

Thanks.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

Unfortunately, I haven't received any link to the files. I sent you a Private Message with a secure link. Could you please upload the files to the given link?

Also, we would be very grateful if you could make a short video showing what happened exactly when the message appears.

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!