BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Opening AC16 pln in AC17

Anonymous
Not applicable
While I'm waiting for the AUS version to be released, I thought I'd have a play with 17 demo. Opened a 16 project into 17 and was curious what this means in the materials s dropdown with all those strange numbers?
11 REPLIES 11
Karl Ottenstein
You'll want to study the Migration Guide (and more):
http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-17-int-reference-guide/migration-guide-for-archicad...

[Link above updated 7/15/13]

As it says there:
The names of the new Building Materials are generated from the original Cut Fill’s name and will be extended with a unique nine-digit identifier
The more inconsistent the usage of fills, priorities, pens, etc in the original file, the more numeric-suffixed cut fill named BM's will be generated.

In the long run, Building Materials will save us all tons of work, but migration will take time. As Rick Thompson says in another thread - and is mentioned in the migration article - it can pay to clean things up some in the original 16 file first. Then, the new delete/merge capability with attributes helps clean up things further.

See also:
http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-17-int-reference-guide/configuration/attributes/bui...
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Karl...rule number 1..read the manual!
Just like a kid in a lolly shop, install demo..load up a project...see what happens 🙂
Karl Ottenstein
🙂

[I should mention that of course the desired 'new' template for 17 would not have any of those goofy numbers, but would have clean building material names. The flood of suffixed-names, and the legacy intersection preference, lets an old project show up and behave exactly as before.]
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello... I'm really lost with that and find it quite frustrating, I'd actually like(and thinks that is the way it should be) to take my project from AC16, open it up in AC17, and just carry on working on it. (minor adjustments maybe). But OK... does't work that way, that's fine, so I'll go and check the migration guide on the GS Help Center website and BAM! "The page you are trying to reach can't be found...Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post." Even though I come from a direct link inside the same site.
Very, very frustrating really!
Anybody have any clue when this "Help Center" will be up and running properly?

Cheers.

N.
Eduardo Rolon
Or you could read the Reference Guide PDF under Help starting on page 101.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Here is the migration guide page in the Help Center:

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-17-int-reference-guide/migration-guide-for-archicad...
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
@Eduardo thank you... I still think its imperative that the help centre runs properly.
@Laszlo than you too but unfortunately it's still not working: you link takes me to: "Migration Guide for ArchiCAD 17" where I can click on the version i want to migrate from, I click on the "Migrating from ArchiCAD 16" link and this takes me to a new page in which when I click on the first link "Building Materials: Attribute Migration Issues" (the one I'm really interested in right now), it takes me to a page that reads :"404 - Oops! The page you are trying to reach can't be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post."
Thank you all for your responses.
n.
scrn.jpg
Eduardo Rolon
Same 404 here.
I guess it is still in Beta.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
That is strange because I can access it with no problem. See attached image.

So it works for some, doesn't work for others.
I will let GS HQ know about this.
Help.png
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!