BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Opening ArchiCAD file => repeating user name / password pop-up window

Anonymous
Not applicable
In the office we have the ArchiCAD projects on a server (QNAP NAS server), let’s call it here ”projServer”. Workers have iMac’s.
With the projects that are modified by several workers, we have a problem: every time one opens the project, a Finder(* window pops up and it asks an user name and a password for ”projServer”, AND the user name already given there is one of those workers who has sometimes modified the project, even a year or two ago. And this window pops up maybe 3 to 5 times when opening one file. Everytime window appears, the suggested user name can be different. Or the same. Or two times the same, the 3rd different. So far we have experience on .PLN files only, not teamwork projects.

Only thing to do here is to change the user name into my own and give a password. Checking the box ”Remember password in the keychain” (<= might be wrong translation) doesn’t help, at least not in a long run. And that ”remembering” is already taken care of: every time the iMac starts, an automator script opens all the necessary server connections, including ”projServer”. That works without any user name / password window.
I also noticed that leaving the co-worker's name in 'user name' field and giving his password works fine, but not the one's name who is not working here anymore (and whose user account is deleted from the server).

I think problem started when our office moved into a new location, but all the hardware (servers, switch etc.) came along. Well, maybe there is one more switch that didn’t exist before…
We now have AC 18, but this has occurred with previous versions, too.

I know this might not be an ArchiCAD problem at all, but so far it’s the only application that we have this problem with.
Could there be some place, maybe inside .PLN file, that restores information of the users that have modified the file? Or maybe some setting in the QNAP? I’m not professional in that, but I would believe that’s not the case.

This sounds a minor problem but is actually quite annoying and frustrating, since it concerns several files.

*) It looks like a Finder window, although the OS X’s menu bar header doesn’t change into "Finder"

I hope there's all relevant info... Thanks for any advice!

EDIT: Checking the box "Remember password in the keychain" DOES help. So it seems. When I use co-worker's name (which is suggested by OS) and give his/her password and check the box "Remember...", opening file doesn't pop up user name / password window. Only thing that remains, is the ex-worker's name: that name still appears and must be changed into my own.
Even this helped, it's a bad solution, because one shouldn't be forced to use other's names and passwords.
1 REPLY 1
ksjhawk
Enthusiast
Granted this post is ancient, but we have had success eliminating this pop-up by typing in the server username and password and making sure to check remember this password in my keychain...maybe not useful for the original post, but perhaps someone in the future...
MacBook Pro Apple M1 Max 64GB ram
OS X 12.4
AC26 - AC6.5
Learn and get certified!