BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Opening Problems-Forced Quit

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I tried to open an ArchiCAD file that I have been working on for 2 months, an Archicad message came up saying that the file was already in use (by my computer). But, the file was not in use and hadnt been since the day before. When I clicked open with exclusive another message came up saying contents of drawing could not be read b/c of error in project doc; open all drawing details to renew the missing ones. Therefore, I clicked OK and then the message error while loading plan file. Then it gives two options..stop loading or ignore and continuing loading. I choose to continue. Then the message Integrity Checking Error! Project data was damaged in last setup! with the options of working with risk of crashing or continue working with last saved version. So I chose to continue working with saved version. Then the next message was to continue or Force Quit. So I chose Force Quit.
I have not been able to open the file since. It gives me the same messages everytime I try to open it.
However I tried to open a different file today and I got the same messages. But when I did the force quit I opened the file again and the file opened fine. No error messages or force quit.
I have been using ArchiCad for almost three years (not that long but still), I have never seen this response from ArchiCAD before.
What causes ArchiCAD to have these problems? I had back-up copies of the file that I can no longer access so I havent lost anything...yet. What do I need to do to prevent this from happening later? or is there anything that I can do?
2 REPLIES 2
Djordje
Ace
DGBeck wrote:
When I tried to open an ArchiCAD file that I have been working on for 2 months, an Archicad message came up saying that the file was already in use (by my computer).
I would let my local reseller check the file.

Also, when it opens, turn all the layers on, unlock and ungroup, take everyhting into a fat marquee, and copy to fresh file. You will lose any 2D linework in S/E, though.

Try also the forward merge technique (find it in Tips&Tricks, by Eric Batte)

Something got messed up; I suspect bad polygon slabs or meshes, or an object forced to unacceptable shape.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, the first time I had issues opening the first file, I was able to open the backup copy that ArchiCAD saves when you make a new file. So, I saved a copy from that to use as the main copy.
Also, all of the drawings I have done that I have had "forced quit" problems with have all been 2d drawings. These projects were started by someone else...so I am picking up where someone else left off. The guy before me did everything in lines, just like one would draw in AutoCAD. So as far as I can tell, nothing is missing. So, thats why I don't understand how there were "problems" with the drawing...there are no meshes, slabs but there are a few 3-d library parts....so maybe that is where the problem occurred?
Thanks for the reply.
Learn and get certified!