Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Opening old AC edu files in commercial AC versions.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Greetings everyone,

First of all, I apologize if a similar thread has already been posted but I could not find it in the forums.

My problem is the following:
While in university, I used to work in archicad educational versions 8.0 and 9.0 on a mac. As a result, all my projects are in .pne format. Nowadays I am using Archicad 15 (commercial) on a mac and I also have access to a computer that has AC9, AC11 and AC13, all of which are commercial versions as well.

Does anyone know how I can access those old .pne files in a commercial version?
- I can not launch Archicad 9 EDU anymore on my computer as I'm running OSX Lion.
- Commercial versions 9, 11, 13 and 15 can not open the .pne files.
- I can not install AC9 EDU anymore (on a pc) as I've lost the original CD that I bought.

If anyone could help me, I would be extremely grateful. I desperately need access to my old projects.

Thank you in advance,
Chris
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
FULL versions cannot and are not supposed to open EDU files.
There is no way to do it as far as I know.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Eduardo Rolon
Lazlo,

Full versions can open EDU files. What they do is that they change from Commercial to EDU as long as that file is opened.

In this case the file is a .PNE which was Graphisoft's earlier student version (that they sold) and as far as I know they only work up to AC09.

I tried to open one if my students AC09 PNEs to verify and I was unable to do it since AC10 says it is an unrecognized format. The only hope I see is for him to get a hold of a copy of AC09 EDU install it in Windows or an old 10.5 or 10.6 MAc and export the info as 3DS for the model and to PDF or DWG for the layouts
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Sorry, my bad. I didn't know that.

But I don't know how much that helps our friend because if he opens EDU files in the FULL version he will see the water mark on all printed pages.
My understanding was that he may want to use the contents of those EDU files in commercial projects, which he is not supposed to do.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I do not want to use the old files anymore, all I wanted is to have a usable backup of my work

Thank you very much for your help. I guess I will have to find a computer with an old operating system and export the files to 3DS and pdf.

Have a nice day,
Chris