Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Optimal CPU configuration for Archicad 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am going to buy a new desktop for my small architecture firm. What do people recommend for brands (DELL, HP, etc...) and configuration for running Archicad 9 and creating a lot of video walk-throughs? I mainly want to speed up the video/movie generation.

Thank you,
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
In addition to the video speed I need to speed up the:
Publishing from AC to PM
Publishing from PM
Loading libraries
Saving
Send and receive changes
And also I need to have the tools work snappy as they have been in AC 6 and earlier - at the moment AC10 is full of some king of sticky glue that is choking all commands and actions
TomWaltz
Participant
archanom wrote:
I am going to buy a new desktop for my small architecture firm. What do people recommend for brands (DELL, HP, etc...) and configuration for running Archicad 9 and creating a lot of video walk-throughs? I mainly want to speed up the video/movie generation.

Thank you,
While I cannot recommend any one brand (they have all ticked me off at some point or another), I would recommend you get the fastest processor and video cards you can find, and pack in as much RAM as possible.

Yes, the hardware will be expensive, but if you weight it against the cost of staff staring at their screens waiting for the computer, it is not so bad.
Tom Waltz
TomWaltz
Participant
Adalbert wrote:
In addition to the video speed I need to speed up the:
Publishing from AC to PM
Publishing from PM
Loading libraries
Saving
Send and receive changes
And also I need to have the tools work snappy as they have been in AC 6 and earlier - at the moment AC10 is full of some king of sticky glue that is choking all commands and actions
I'm not sure what your speed problems are. The only times we have with noticable performance problems were
  • (A) the old G4 machiines on the admin desks
    (B) the 12" PowerBooks our partners use
    (C) the 14 story by 420' long, 180 MB project that runs a bit slow
Tom Waltz
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I have always been happy with Dell's machines, although their warranty is not as good as it used to be (unless you pay extra for it). My current machine has 1gb of ram and that has been sufficient (so far). My 128mb video card has also been good, and it is not a "high end" card. I also chose a dual processor capable machine. In the event Archicad 10 takes advantage of dual processors, that would speed things up considerably, esp. for the video/movie making you plan to do.

Just my two cents,

Steve
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks everyone,

Looks like it's the common sense approach. Basically, what I already know I should get. I just didn't know if there was a machine out there without the sound blaster, etc.... that's geared more for CAD and not gaming. However, I agree that the dual processor would be worth while.

Thanks.
here is the system I would buy if I needed one today.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

here is the system I would buy for someone working in my office.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25