Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

'Option' and 'Shift' Keys Don't Work

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've recently updated to archiCAD 13 as well as to Mac OSX 10.6.2. However I'm not sure this issue is related to the updates: Both my 'option' and 'shift' keys have randomly stopped functioning within archiCAD. Meaning I'm unable to rotate or drag w/ a copy, snap to guidelines, etc. - very frustrating! The shortcuts are set up correctly w/n my profile, but still don't work. They keys work in all other programs as well. Sometimes when I first open a new instance of archiCAD the keys will work for a couple of commands, then stop again. I'm still running archiCAD 12 for specific projects/files and am guessing this may be related to updating my OS to 10.6.2 as this started happening shortly thereafter. Any suggestions would be welcomed!

Thank you!
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Same here. Looking for help!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Daniel -

I was able to get in touch w/ Graphisoft Tech. Support over the phone. They didn't have a direct solution, but suggested that the keys were not functioning due to another program running at the same time. Apparently, when multiple programs are running simultaneously, the different programs are given a 'priority' as to which shortcut keys work for each program. Though trial-and-error, by running archiCAD and opening all other programs individually, one at a time, I was able to determine (and I still cannot believe this) that the conflict was due to having Gmail open w/n a tab in Firefox. Crazy, I know. I now use Safari and happily both the 'shift' and 'option' keys within ArchiCAD without any trouble! Good Luck!

Ben.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Ben,

Cool. I did have ALL other applications closed ,but I turned on Activity Monitor and noticed that I have a hidden Process/Application running for Quicken called Quicken Scheduler that I forced quit and my keys immediately came back without even having to restart ArchiCAD. That was pure luck finding that one. Thanks for the tip.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think sometimes a simple restart is the best as a first remedy to these type of issues , at least for me it works most of the time .
Anonymous
Not applicable
In this case, it was specifically related to the quicken application.
tsturm
Newcomer
Daneil and Norbert

Thank you for finding the solution to this problem. I just could not understand how running AC in a different user profile could not reproduce the same problem I was being affected by in my default user profile. I am running AC 10. I had issues drawing a line using the Shift key as well. I found I could run AC in a different user without any issue. I have been looking for a User preference which was messed up. I did not realize it all had to do with Quicken Scheduler.

Now that I have shut off the Quicken Scheduler, I can now draw a line locked to my settings such as 0, 30, 60, 90 and such and trust they will be dead on.

It would really be helpful for GS to acknowledge this conflict so Users can make the necessary adjustment.

Cheers
Terrence Sturm, Architect
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000
Anonymous
Not applicable
This was driving me crazy. Thanks for posting the thread about having your Gmail open within Firefox as the problem! For me it was having Pandora open within Firefox that turned my Shift key off! Strange
Anonymous
Not applicable
my shortcuts dont work....
Im using windows 7, tryed reinstall but nothing.

help?