Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

PC Recommendations

Anonymous
Not applicable
I work in a mac office. We are looking to purchase a PC for our network because we are going to be purchasing some new accounting software that only works on a PC. This software is called Deltek. We would also like to run ArchiCAD on the PC. I want to make sure that it works ok on a mac network. Are there any additional software or hardware that we would need to purchase in order for this to work. What would you recommend?
19 REPLIES 19
mikeadams wrote:
. What is a solid PC that you would get the most bang for your buck and that is capable of working within a mac network with an OS X Server. Any suggestions??!!
Just look at the DELL selections. I just installed a few of them on a Apple Talk network flawlessly using Miramar System software. No need to look at the Workstations, they are pricy. The only problem is the limited selections of graphics card they offer. They will not customize their machines with anything other than what they list.

E-mail me privately if you want further info.

Conrado Dominguez
Win 10 Home Premium - AMD Phenom IIX6 1090T Processor 3.20 GHZ 8.00 GB RAM 64-bit Opp. Sys NVIDIA Quadro 4000 AC 22, MEP
Anonymous
Not applicable
You might want to check what Cadalyst Magazine is currently recommending. When I looked up their ratings, they'd given top billing to Polywell and Dell a few years in a row, *way* outstripping everything else.

The nice thing about Polywell machines is that you can customize them practically infinitely, much more so than you can with any of the better known brands, including a broader selection of higher end graphics cards, and a lot more expansion bays.

Both Cadalyst and Polywell have extensive websites. If you can't find what you want at Polywell on their website, even after configuring your own system, just call them or email them with what you want to get a quote.

Wendy
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hullo.

I was getting acquainted with the example projects and find that the sample projects load and render very slowly.
My initial learning type projects have been small, so far, so they load and regenerate quickly....
but i am wondering what the level of detail in a project is that will cause my computer to start to get slow.

I have seen in the user guide that 1 gig Ram is recommended, but when I check performance meter
during load up of the sample projects it is the processor that is maxed out.
I have a AMD 1.3 thunderbird and 512k sdram- how do determine what processor would be adequate to run ArchiCAD ?
I am on a tight budget btw and could not buy a new 64 bit processor

I am planning mebe to get a AMD XP 2800 + 1 Gig DDR ? Will this be enough ?

Thanks.

Simon
D2G
Djordje
Ace
Simon wrote:
I have a AMD 1.3 thunderbird and 512k sdram- how do determine what processor would be adequate to run ArchiCAD ?
I am on a tight budget btw and could not buy a new 64 bit processor
You never have enough horsepower in your car and GHz in your processor

Go for the fastest you can afford, definitely go for 1 gig of RAM, and don't save on the graphics subsystem - nVidia with 64MB minimum with good OpenGL capabilities is recommended.

Don't forget the speed of the disk, and the size of it - you need lots of free space.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
mikeadams wrote:
I work in a mac office. This software is called Deltek. What would you recommend?
Since no one else seems to want to answer your question, I'll take a stab at it. The fact that you work in a Mac office is null. Mac networks operate seamlessly with a Windows client. As far as a name-brand computer recommendation goes, Dell comes to mind first. The model you choose depends upon the hardware requirements of the Deltek software and your budget. The Compaq Prosignia series is also quite good.
tsturm
Newcomer
Coming into a new office. Got put on the largest project in the office as far as the CAD work goes. Then I found out that my machine has a 1.1g Celeron processor and 384 megs of ram.

I really do not know much about this type of processor given my main working machine has been a G5.

I do know based on experience it is slow.

Can anyone help with the reason why one type of PC processor is better and why all the comments about not getting a Celeron processor?

What is ArchiCAD doing that is needs the Pentium processor and such?

I can get things done using the Celeron, but it does seem to take a long time. A very simple model to draw up a exterior elevation on a building took over 35 minutes to do. Something I would have expected to take less than a minute to do on my G5.

Could anyone help me out?

THX
Terrence Sturm, Architect
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000
Anonymous
Not applicable
tsturm wrote:
Can anyone help with the reason why one type of PC processor is better and why all the comments about not getting a Celeron processor?

What is ArchiCAD doing that is needs the Pentium processor and such?
The Celeron is a slow, cheap version of the Pentium. It's sole purpose is to sell to the lowest price points. It is unacceptable for CAD work as far as I am concerned.

ArchiCAD makes heavy use of the processor, especially for 3D modeling and rendering. A fast graphics card also helps quite a bit, especially for OpenGL in 3D navigation.

Your computer sounds seriously deficient for the task. Your employer would be well advised to spring for the cost of new machine. It will pay back quickly in time saved and deadlines met.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Man o man.....even my poor secretary has a P4 with 512mb.

Them giving you a celer-crap-on to do AC9 work on has got be a practical joke they are layin on you.

Unless managment doesnt mind all that time you sit there waiting....waiting...waiting.
Djordje
Ace
tsturm wrote:
Coming into a new office. Got put on the largest project in the office as far as the CAD work goes. Then I found out that my machine has a 1.1g Celeron processor and 384 megs of ram.
I found out that people usually understand when you use car analogies.

Any CAD is Indy racing. You don't use a tricycle to go Indy racing. If you do, you don't win. Simple as that.

What you do need is spelled out on the Graphisoft web site. Multiply listed by two.

Heck, OS wants 512MB!!!!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
tsturm
Newcomer
Thank you all who replied to my post on the Celeron issue.

Wish me luck in getting an upgrade. Either that or the patience to wait through the long calculation times.
Terrence Sturm, Architect
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000