Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Pen Set gets overwritten

Bruce
Expert
I am encountering an interesting problem where ARCHICAD overwrites my Modelling pen set (coloured) with my Publishing pen set (B&W). This has happened often enough that I know it's not me, but too infrequently for me to figure out a cause.

I have 6 pen sets in the file, but it's only these two that it's happening to. The Modelling pen set doesn't get overwritten by any other pen set, and no other pen set gets overwritten.

I am working on the hypothesis that if I have the Publishing pen set active in a section / elevation / interior elevation window, and flick to another window often enough, ARCHICAD gets confused. Not sure though.

Has anyone else encountered this?
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
15 REPLIES 15
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
When you say that it gets overwritten, what exactly do you mean by it? That in the Pens and Color Dialog the definition of every Pen in the Pen Set becomes different?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Bruce
Expert
Yes, that's right.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Wow, that is something I have never seen before.
Could you post some screenshots that shows how this looks like?
I will bring to to the attention of GS HQ.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Bruce
Expert
This is my model pen set
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
Bruce
Expert
This is my Publishing pen set. When it happens (which I can't duplicate at will...haven't figured out what causes it), my Modelling pen set (previous post) looks exactly like my Publishing pen set - colours, pen weights, definitions etc.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
DGSketcher
Legend
I have had this about three times in v21 but only a projected started in v20. In my case I assume it was the default pen set overriding my personal pens. Impossible to identify when or how it was happening so I settled for just using attribute manager to restore my pens.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Jeff Griffin
Enthusiast
I have also had this happen, as recently as today in fact, hence the reason why I'm visiting the message board.

Here's my typical pen set:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7caqhy779az73id/Pen%20Set.JPG?dl=0

Here's what it changes to:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dyvxru4mzfl2k6s/Pen%20Set%20Issue.png?dl=0
iMac 27 (2020) 3.8 GHz Core i7; 128 GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB GPU (macOS Sonoma)
MacBook Pro M1 Max; 64 GB RAM; 32-Core GPU (macOS Ventura)
ArchiCAD 27/26/25 Full (latest builds). User since AC12 (2008).
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello guys,

Bruce and jffgrffn! Next time you guys experience this (I suppose you will instantly realise that the pens in your floor plans just got messed up), could you get the following and send it to me, so that we can look into it and see if we can find anything?
- When you realize the change, do a save, and put aside the PLN and the BPN files (because the BPN is the previous save, so this way we would have a before-after state).
- Make a not about when you noticed the change (like it probably happened today, between 12:10-12:20)
- Quit ARCHICAD, and go to 'C:\Users\<username>\Graphisoft\ARCHICAD-64 Log Folder\<ARCHICAD version>\FastLogger'. Make a ZIP of the contents of the FastLogger folder, and put that aside for us too.
- Send me the ZIP, the BPN and the PLN in a Private Message, so that we can look at the logs to see what might have happened in the file structure between the given time period that could cause this.
- If you have any guess what it is that you did during that time that has something to do with attrbutes, make sure to mention that as well.

As a short term solution (as you mentioned), it is best if you save out the pen sets, and just overwrite them in the Attribute Manager when they go bad.

Thanks,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Bruce
Expert
Will do.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --