Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Pen Set gets overwritten

Bruce
Expert
I am encountering an interesting problem where ARCHICAD overwrites my Modelling pen set (coloured) with my Publishing pen set (B&W). This has happened often enough that I know it's not me, but too infrequently for me to figure out a cause.

I have 6 pen sets in the file, but it's only these two that it's happening to. The Modelling pen set doesn't get overwritten by any other pen set, and no other pen set gets overwritten.

I am working on the hypothesis that if I have the Publishing pen set active in a section / elevation / interior elevation window, and flick to another window often enough, ARCHICAD gets confused. Not sure though.

Has anyone else encountered this?
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
15 REPLIES 15
Jeff Griffin
Enthusiast
Daniel,

Link to PLN, BPN & ZIP file sent to you in a PM.

Thank you,
Jeff
iMac 27 (2020) 3.8 GHz Core i7; 128 GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB GPU (macOS Sonoma)
MacBook Pro M1 Max; 64 GB RAM; 32-Core GPU (macOS Ventura)
ArchiCAD 27/26/25 Full (latest builds). User since AC12 (2008).
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

Thank you for the files Jeff, it is exactly what we needed! We can see what goes wrong in the file structure now. We are still investigating the possible cause which is probably going to take some time, but this is a big step forward, so thanks again.

In the meantime, if anyone else experiences this, you should contact your local support, so that they can gather the necessary files/information for us.

Thanks,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Bruce
Expert
I've just encountered an interesting variation: only 3 pen definitions got overwritten, not the whole set. They were three pens that I can recall changing an object from, or to in the last two days.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

Just checking if there has been any resolution on this topic? I have had 3 users this week ask me about this problem, or the variation of it where only a few pens change. All users are on AC21.

Thanks in advance,

Richard
DGSketcher
Legend
I think within the AC program there is a basic attribute error check that views the pen sets and if they don't meet the required criteria then AC protects itself by creating and overwriting the first pen set with default values. There is no warning, and when it happens isn't clear as I have noticed it in drawings with a cold boot from the day before and just opening a different drawing. If this is what is going on then the first pen set should be hard coded e.g. can't be deleted, and then everything after that is the end users responsibility.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
EJE wrote:
Hi all,

Just checking if there has been any resolution on this topic? I have had 3 users this week ask me about this problem, or the variation of it where only a few pens change. All users are on AC21.

Thanks in advance,

Richard
Hi,

We are planning to include a fix for this in the next update of ARCHICAD 22 (build 50xx) - the next 21 update comes sometime later. Since it is extremely hard to reproduce, we are having a hard time verifying that this will solve the problem 100%, so we are still investigating/testing but I am confident about this one.

We are planning to release a preview version of the update for english speaking languages in a month or so, so you will be able to test it first hand. You will find it as fix #246031, in the release note.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit